Usb Keys Tried & True

redlaws

Hi I was thinking about the different Usb keys Unraider use.

Does a metal or plastic case make any difference (do they get hot).

The size of memory eg 8gb plus (do add ons mean you need 32gb+ as a sweet spot).

Are the card readers still an option or mainly blacklisted because no guid for Tom to use.

Are mounting then on m/b or inside cases a better option.

If I get some feedback,  I might do a pole then, this might be useful for anybody that needs a usb newbie or experienced

brand & type, unit size, memory size, internal or ext mounted.

The USB key shouldn't get hot, as it's mostly only being "used" during boot.  Unless you're using it for apps (which will kill it quickly) instead of a data disk or cache drive.  Also I can't imagine needing more than 8 GB (unless you're using it for apps). 

I'm currently using a Kingstion FCR-HS3 card reader, as is at least one other user, and I've updated it so I'm pretty sure it's not blacklisted.  I switched to this card reader as there is a problem with certain USB controllers under ESXi, and unRAID 6 that causes the usb device to reset constantly.  This doesn't happen if I use a reader. 

Due to the new procedure for moving licenses to new USB devices in unRAID 6, which is automated, and for me took less than 2 minutes, using card readers is less important than it used to be.  You are limited to using this automated process 1x/year, but if you are killing multiple usb devices per year, you're probably doing something wrong or have a hardware issue.

USB devices I've used successfully:

ATP Nano 4GB

Patriot 4GB Xporter

• 2 weeks later...