drive assignments

We recently had several power outages.The server was running versipn 4.7.Im not to sure how long power was off beacuase it's on a UPS.When I tried to reboot it,it would hang and say ebios problem,wont boot.I figured it was a corrupt file on the thumb.I had Windows check it and there was problems with the thumb.I had Windows repair it to no avail.I tried an old copy of my thumb and it did go farther in the loading process,but again stopped.I didn't have the original download so to try the bzimage and bzroot files.At this point I tried those files in version 5.06 the current file in downloads.It did boot but when I went into the gui there were a couple of drives not assigned.The drive in the parity slot I don't think was the correct drive and that and 2 other drives had the green dot.When I assigned the other 2 they had a blue dot.All of these were in the original array.At this point not sure what to do.The array has not been started.Any ideas please.Afer these things run reliabley for so long ,you have to scratch your head.

It says error in sys lines won't load. So that wouldn't be the computer bios right. Just to be on the safe side I did check the computer bios. Didn't see anything. Since I haven't started the drive I think everything is intact. I tried to upgrade to 5.06 it booted up bur the drive assignments were wrong I believe. Is there a way to restart this with out screwing everything up? Thanks

The reason I thought it might be BIOS issues was your statement that it said something about 'ebios'.  Then if the USB boot drive is pulled and modified, some BIOS's will change the boot order in the BIOS.

Since you are coming from v4.7, I think your best course of action is to follow the steps in the Upgrade to UnRAID v6 guide, and use the 'clean install' option.  That will take care of preparing your flash drive correctly, including syslinux setup.  Once v6 is operational, then you will have to carefully assign your drives, and possibly build parity again.  You will also need to run the New Permissions tool, once the data drives are all assigned.  All of that is in the guide.

I understand, if I install 6 are there any precautions other than getting the parity drive assigned correctly. Is the assignment of the other drives important? They are wired physically hooked up the same. They have not been removed. Thanks so much for helping me out. The thought of loosing all my data was killikilme! Lol ling

I understand, if I install 6 are there any precautions other than getting the parity drive assigned correctly. Is the assignment of the other drives important? They are wired physically hooked up the same. They have not been removed. Thanks so much for helping me out. The thought of loosing all my data was killikilme! Lol ling

The order of the data drives is not important unless you care what data is on what disk. unRAID will be fine with whatever order you set. Just be careful and don't assign a data disk to parity. Someone else made that mistake very recently.