On-board dual NIC passthrough...is this possible?

stewy417

Hi...I've looked through the forums and just can't figure out how to take one of the NICs on my motherboard and pass it through to a Windows 7 VM.  I've seen where folks have touched on it, however there doesn't seem to be an answer.  Is it possible to do this?

Or lets say I had a PCIe 4 port NIC, how could I separate each port on the card to be used by 4 different VMs?

Here is more information...

08:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82575EB Gigabit Network Connection (rev 02)

08:00.1 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82575EB Gigabit Network Connection (rev 02)

and...

08:00.0 0200: 8086:10a7 (rev 02)

08:00.1 0200: 8086:10a7 (rev 02)

Currently unRAID is only using 08:00.0, but I don't see how to exclude just 08:00.1 and pass that through to the Windows VM.  When I try unRAID loses network connections because they are both on the same vendor/product ID of 8086:10a7.

So, is it possible to separate these so one is used by unRAID and the other can be used by a VM?

Ah..ok so if they are part of the same iommu group you can't split them...bummer.

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/5/devices/0000:08:00.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/5/devices/0000:08:00.1

Thanks for the help!

Actually I though the "ACS? (sorry not at home so can't get exact title) override" would allow this as long as the option doesn't cause instability on your system?

Ah..ok so if they are part of the same iommu group you can't split them...bummer.

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/5/devices/0000:08:00.0

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/5/devices/0000:08:00.1

Thanks for the help!

Actually I though the "ACS? (sorry not at home so can't get exact title) override" would allow this as long as the option doesn't cause instability on your system?

It should do exactly that (with possible consequences that I have not witnessed yet), however I believe he may have issues stubbing a single one of these in syslinux.cfg since they both show up as the same vendor/product ID.

If he doesn't stub it UnRAID will gobble it up like a fat kid and a close by cake!

08:00.0 0200: 8086:10a7 (rev 02)

08:00.1 0200: 8086:10a7 (rev 02)

UnRAID will gobble it up like a fat kid and a close by cake!

Well that bought tears to my eyes...  ;D

Indeed, it was fantastic! unRAID loves them NICs...

Thanks, I'll be here all week (seriously, someone needs to talk to me, or maybe I should be more productive!  ;D).

Archived