We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

[ERROR] INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation! sleeping for 30 seconds.

savaspar

Hello. I have a very strange problem. I can't start any VM (even linux) created from KVM with unRaid version 6.0.1 or prior (betas). It says on console "INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation! sleeping for 30 seconds." and the server freezes, I can't do anything.

I have an Intel E8400 CPU and I checked the Virtualization feature on BIOS. I am able to create any HVM virtual machines on Xen (version 6 beta15), and also I can boot Windows Server 2012 R2 and add Hyper-V as a role (which it requires HVM capable cpu), and run a Windows 8 VM in it. I tried a fresh install of version 6.0.1 and does the same. I downloaded XenServer and I am able to create 3 virtual machines of Windows Server 2012 R2 and have them run simultaneously. Also I ran memtest86+ for 5 cycles with no errors.

Please any ideas??

Hello. I have a very strange problem. I can't start any VM (even linux) created from KVM with unRaid version 6.0.1 or prior (betas). It says on console "INIT: PANIC: segmentation violation! sleeping for 30 seconds." and the server freezes, I can't do anything.

I have an Intel E8400 CPU and I checked the Virtualization feature on BIOS. I am able to create any HVM virtual machines on Xen (version 6 beta15), and also I can boot Windows Server 2012 R2 and add Hyper-V as a role (which it requires HVM capable cpu), and run a Windows 8 VM in it. I tried a fresh install of version 6.0.1 and does the same. I downloaded XenServer and I am able to create 3 virtual machines of Windows Server 2012 R2 and have them run simultaneously. Also I ran memtest86+ for 5 cycles with no errors.

Please any ideas??

Please login to your webGui and goto the Tools > Diagnostics page.  Click "collect" and upload the zip file here.

• 3 weeks later...

Reviewing your logs didn't show anything that points to the source of the issue.  I'm wondering if this old processor (from 2008) does things a little "different" than how KVM is expecting it.  I may need to get more data points from you and open a ticket with the KVM team to investigate.  I will drop an e-mail to the team and see what they say...

Reviewing your logs didn't show anything that points to the source of the issue.  I'm wondering if this old processor (from 2008) does things a little "different" than how KVM is expecting it.  I may need to get more data points from you and open a ticket with the KVM team to investigate.  I will drop an e-mail to the team and see what they say...

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.kvm.devel/139517

We'll see what they say...

There is something I was thinking about last night that I'd like you to try for me.

When creating a VM, please toggle on advanced view on the VM create page and change the CPU type from Host Pass through to Emulated (QEMU). Please report back if this changes things for you at all.

I've done that, and it does the same.

Ok, thanks for trying.  Still waiting to hear back from the KVM team.

This may be a difficult one to diagnose for them because of the lack of information (logs don't provide any insight and the console message is incredibly vague).  It also may end up low on their priority list given the age of the hardware.  Even though you have this working with two alternative hypervisors, how big of an impact would resolving this issue mean for them as a project?  How many folks do we think exist that have this old of a CPU / motherboard (we're talking 8 years old at this point) and that want to use it for virtualization?

Totally want to see you achieve success here, but setting expectations low because the use-case for your particular setup seems pretty rare.  To put it another way:  you are the first person I've seen have this issue since we implemented virtualization in unRAID.

Archived