Docker Commit/Update/backup question

dtempleton

I have installed Sparkly's HandBrake Docker just to use the HandBrakeCLI interface to convert files placed in a watched folder.

I set up the watched folder and the folder monitoring script and then used docker commit to formalize the change in the image. 

My question. that I haven't found in the Docker FAQs, is whether the changes that I committed to the image will be lost if I update the docker image using the UnRAID script.  In other words, is the update 'smart', leaving my changes in place, or will the process replace the whole image back to a state last compiled (by sparkly).

I'm guessing that yes, the changes would be lost, but I'm actually more worried about restoring from the my handbrake template.  My changes would likely be lost there too.  If that's so, what's the best way to back up the image that I have recently 'commit'ed?

Thanks

D

Maybe a better way would be to bind a folder that contains your watch folder & script in the Docker container to your unRAID host.

That way there's no need to modify the image directly and any updates should work.

Yes, that's a far better solution, I just didn't see at first how to run a script in the container and also monitor a folder in the container.  I did that last night by putting the convert script and the watch script in the bound config directory, and passing a docker exec [script] command from the watch script on the tower.

Thank you all for your help

Dennis

Archived