Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt {Solved...Maybe??}

I cant currently remember which unraid os im running but i turned it on today and im getting this error "Kernel panic - not syncing: Fatal exception in interrupt" well thats the last line of text on screen anyways. All i have is a log from my last shut down which i will attach but i dont know if it shows any clues about what might be happening. I pulled out flash drive and ran a check disk in windows but it said the drive was fine. I will now start a memtest and take it from there. thanks in advance....

*maybe the os in my profile is up to date.

syslog-20150809-215528.txt

Any ideas? Im just kicking around ideas...im thinking maybe i should update firmware for my SAS card...I installed it a couple years ago. However I am a little confused on how to do it...I tried using this command below from http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=26774.0 and it came back and said bad command. Profile notes show my card. Thanks...just trying to think of things to do...I know it might be a PSU but i want to try other stuff before i spend 150 on a corsair HX PSU  :-\

Upgrading firmware

Upgrading firmware, for example from P14 to P15, is a simple matter of flashing the BIOS and firmware.  No need to reset the SAS address, eg:

Code: [select]

sas2flsh -o -f 2118it.bin -b mptsas2.rom

The above will flash the latest (P15) IT firmware from this collection of utilities to your card.  No need to do anything else (don't erase the existing firmware/BIOS and don't reset the SAS address).

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 06:47:45 PM by BetaQuasi »

Not sure of this means anything but I just noticed during boot it goes as far as for me to log into the server but then quickly goes to the kernel error...

i did a back up of my flash drive and decided to try version 6. it actually boots although i haven't mounted the drives. I'm in maintenance mode. It shows drive 4 has a relocated sector. My parity is a WD red 4tb which shws faulty and its my newest drive. probably got within 6 months ago...here are some screen shots. thanks

parity.jpg

disk4.jpg

Some observations -

* Syslog does not show any serious problems, no panics, no system errors

* Your pic of the monitor shows a panic in the Realtek driver, but that doesn't necessarily mean a problem with the driver, could be coincidental.  If you see more panics like that, make a note (or pic) of the prominent function names, such as rtl8168 in your pic.  If they all have that, then that points to a problem with either the driver or the chipset.  One other test would be to disable the Realtek and add an Intel NIC.

* Ignore the reallocated sector.  You're only interested in SMART changes that occur from now on, not those that show up on the first viewing.  What you see now is the baseline.

* Have you tried starting the array normally?

thanks for response. the panic was there every time i tried to boot until i put vs6 on the flash drive. i have not started normal. im still in maintenance mode because it shows my parity drive as faulty and says parity is invalid...

Ok parity sync finished and faulty parity went away now im going to start it normally......

I started it up and can access my data...im still worried about that kernel panic...since i havent changed anything in many many months i assume it has to be hardware not software... also after parity sync finished the faulty parity drive has gone away. relocated sector is still there for disk 4 i know you said to ignore that for now. im attaching a syslog...thanks

syslog-20150815-1201.zip

thanks for checking that out. I can understand with something like windows where theres a bunch of programs and updates go through all the time but how could it be a software issue for unraid when it only updates when we tell it to update? oh how i dont understand this stuff!! lol i hate how my profile says im a SR member...only cuz i ask dumb questions all the time..haha thanks again I will continue to monitor it...

I know you said ignore the sector relocate for the initial setup and all that but should i be concerned if it doesnt go away? thanks again  ::)

I can understand with something like windows where theres a bunch of programs and updates go through all the time but how could it be a software issue for unraid when it only updates when we tell it to update?

I only meant that the upgrade to v6 included a much newer Linux kernel, which included many newer drivers.

I know you said ignore the sector relocate for the initial setup and all that but should i be concerned if it doesnt go away? thanks again  ::)

There's nothing to go away.  Reallocated sector count is just a count of how many reallocations there have been.  You have had one, meaning one sector has been replaced by a spare, and you have thousands of spare sectors still available.  We're only interested if the number keeps rising, indicating the likelihood that something mechanical may be wrong with the drive.

I only meant that the upgrade to v6 included a much newer Linux kernel, which included many newer drivers.

I hope you know i dont mean this as an argument or anything like that. Im just trying to wrap my brain around why i would have a driver issue after so long of everything appearing to work thats all...hopefully the problem is gone for good and ill mark this as solved. Thanks!

There's nothing to go away.  Reallocated sector count is just a count of how many reallocations there have been.  You have had one, meaning one sector has been replaced by a spare, and you have thousands of spare sectors still available.  We're only interested if the number keeps rising, indicating the likelihood that something mechanical may be wrong with the drive.

Well if i have thousands of extras than thats great! haha thanks again for all your help!