best cheap build?

raisedbywolves

hi, everyone.

i've been pondering this for a while and have decided that i want to build an unraid server, but i don't have a ton of money to throw around and most of the money i want to spend will obviously be towards hard drives.

so, i was wondering if anyone could help me put together a cheap, reliable unraid server.  i'd like something not too big, up to 10 drives, but 5 is alright for now, and will not draw too much power.  just go for the cheapest bang for the buck build possible.  thanks in advance for any help, guys.

Can you give us a budget at all.  What one person thinks might be cheap parts might not be for another.  I build my server at a pretty good price, but i built it over a period of a couple months and waited for deals to come along.

With that said, i think you need to check out the Hardware Compatibility page on the wiki and go from there.  Start researching boards, processors, PSU, and what exactly you would like to do with unRAID.

I know my main use of it started out as only a file server, but i have since installed other applications and I am now very glad I go my dual core CPU.

There will never be "one cheapest build."  The best way to save money is to be patient.  Have an idea of a few different MB's, cases, PSU's, etc you have in mind and wait for sales.  I've wanted to build an NAS for sometime, especially unRaid.  Over the course of a few weeks, i picked up

P5B Deluxe/e6600 C2D/4 GB Ram/Zalman cooler combo for $150 off craigslist.

ABS Aplus huge case for $90 at newegg

Corsair 650W single 12V rail PSU at newegg for $50

2 1TB hard drives for $110 at newegg (already have a 1 TB drive)

$400 for 2TB backed up (just a start, will add HD's as needed, and SATA controller cards), plus i have about $30 in Bing cashback coming from those purchases.  now if i could just buy some extensive knowledge of all those customizations out there for unRaid.

I feel like I got higher end components for pretty cheap.  Just wait for sales, then jump on them.  watch places like fatwallet, slickdeals, anand-tech, here, etc for the deals to be posted.  new ones on HD's all the time.  I would imagine you could do way cheaper than i did if you bought bargain brands, but i've had good luck with paying for good brands over the years.

Archived