hard drive speed improvement question

Hi,

When review my logs this evening I noticed something odd in smartctl.  It was reporting my drives as being 6 GB/s capable but only running at 3 GB/s.  When checking on the specs of my motherboard I found out that I had plugged my drives into the wrong (slower) ports on my motherboard.  What I am wondering is, can I just move these drives over to the proper ports and everything will just work, or do I need to plan on rebuilding my array if I decide to do this?  Could I potentially just move the cache drive for now without screwing anything up even?

Current motherboard is a TYAN S5512 with 8 x 6GB/s ports on a LSI SAS2008 and 2 6Gb/s with 4x 3Gb/s ports on a Intel C204.  My plan being to move either all drives to the LSI controller, or some to the 6GB/s ports on the Intel and the rest to the LSI.  Currently I have 4 disks in this system (1 x parity, 1 x cache, 2 x data)

Thanks

Hi,

When review my logs this evening I noticed something odd in smartctl.  It was reporting my drives as being 6 GB/s capable but only running at 3 GB/s.  When checking on the specs of my motherboard I found out that I had plugged my drives into the wrong (slower) ports on my motherboard.  What I am wondering is, can I just move these drives over to the proper ports and everything will just work, or do I need to plan on rebuilding my array if I decide to do this?  Could I potentially just move the cache drive for now without screwing anything up even?

Current motherboard is a TYAN S5512 with 8 x 6GB/s ports on a LSI SAS2008 and 2 6Gb/s with 4x 3Gb/s ports on a Intel C204.  My plan being to move either all drives to the LSI controller, or some to the 6GB/s ports on the Intel and the rest to the LSI.  Currently I have 4 disks in this system (1 x parity, 1 x cache, 2 x data)

unRAID recognises drives by their serial number - it does not care where they have been plugged in.  Move them to the ports where you want them and it should all 'just work'.