3 disk unraid 6.0 will not boot...

bilbo6209

Hey guys,

I'm trying to help out a friend who set up an unraid and I'm kind of at a loss on this one, I see what I suspect happened but I wanted to get some other thoughts.

My friend had previously had 3 4tb drives set up in a RAID (not sure what flavor of RAID), he pulled the drives out and build a new UnRaid 6.0 box (I'm not 100% sure if  used the same hardware or if this was different hardware)... but he had his Unraid up and running for a couple weeks, had copied several TB of data to it, then one day the server just died. he assumed the CPU/MOBO died, I think he was looking for an excuse to buy a new CPU/MOBO anyway :P, so he ordered a new CPU/MOBO, in the mean time I was going to give him a copy of some files so he grabbed one of the 3 drives out of his old Unraid and hooked it up to his PC and after figuring out what format it was he was able to see approx 1.4tb of the drive but it was empty, he grabbed the other 2 drives and then were EXACTLY the same, 1.4tb free 2.6tb out of 4tb "gone' not accessible, NOT USED but not showing as available. 

To me this this feels like the RAID striping was re-populated back on to the drives? Is that possible? Is his data on the drives gone? He is going to bring the drives and old PC to me... I am a bit worried about putting the drives into my unraid, or on my network just in case there is a virus on them.

unRAID does not use Striping so that was not the issue.  It also does not use RAID in the traditional sense (which is why it is called unRAID  :) )

I assume that although the disks had originally been used in a RAID system when they were added to unRAID they would have been repartitioned and reformatted so at that point they were empty of data?  However if after pulling them from the unRAID system they were plugged back into the system that had the original RAID setup  and that RAID setup had not been cleared I am not sure what would happen.

We need to know more about how the 3 drives were allocated to unRAID (i.e. data, parity, cache) before any reasonable suppositions can be drawn.  Posting the config/disk.cfg  and config/super.dat files from the USB stick used to boot unRAID could give us a clue.

Yep I know that Unraid doesnt use any striping etc, I have been using Unraid for many years.

Im wondering if somehow his disks "reverted" to their striped state... but without being hooked to the correct piece of raid hardware they are unreadable? Is that possible?

To my understanding he did no have a cache or parity set up just the 3 drives and I verified that UnRaid saw 3 separate drives and not 1 12tb drive. From what he has said the Unraid box would not even boot... Im not sure if he reused the same USB stick on the new hardware or not... Im waiting for an answer on your questions and hopefully config files etc.

I will reply back in a bit hopefully with alot more info.

Yep I know that Unraid doesnt use any striping etc, I have been using Unraid for many years.

THought so - but you did ask the question.

Im wondering if somehow his disks "reverted" to their striped state... but without being hooked to the correct piece of raid hardware they are unreadable? Is that possible?

They could only 'revert' if some hardware or software wrote something back to the drives.    If that happened it would destroy the unRAID data

To my understanding he did no have a cache or parity set up just the 3 drives and I verified that UnRaid saw 3 separate drives and not 1 12tb drive. From what he has said the Unraid box would not even boot... Im not sure if he reused the same USB stick on the new hardware or not... Im waiting for an answer on your questions and hopefully config files etc.

It is very rare for the motherboard to just die.    It makes one wonder if there was some other reason why the system would not boot.    One check would have been to use the USB stick in another system to see if it was still bootable.    If so then one might suspect that the original failure to boot was just that the BIOS lost the settings for which device it should boot from.

I will reply back in a bit hopefully with alot more info.

I haven't verified this, but apparently a different friend "confirmed" that his disks were infected by a virus that basicly encrypted the files... I have never heard of one of these types of viruses that can run on an UnRaid, typically they would run on a Windows or MAC system and then encrypt Network attached mapped drives, and not just the NAS.... so that seems a bit fishy to me.... but he trusts teh other friends judgement so we can call this closed :)

Bill

I haven't verified this, but apparently a different friend "confirmed" that his disks were infected by a virus that basicly encrypted the files... I have never heard of one of these types of viruses that can run on an UnRaid, typically they would run on a Windows or MAC system and then encrypt Network attached mapped drives, and not just the NAS.... so that seems a bit fishy to me.... but he trusts teh other friends judgement so we can call this closed :)

Bill

The virus ran and attacked files on a windows share.  All the damage was done from windows not from UnRaid.