Corrupted Filesystem Questions

DoeBoye

Hello,

I was having some odd permissions issues on a couple of drives in my system, and so ran reiserfsck on them from the GUI. One recommended a fix fixable and the other drive needed a rebuild tree. The processes are underway for both.

2 questions:

[*] Using the GUI to do the reiserfsck, it asked me to type 'Yes' before beginning the tree rebuild and fix fixable. Where would I type 'Yes'? I tried just about everything. I ended up just going through putty to do it.

[*]If I had pre-cleared the drive and had parity rebuild it instead of using the rebuild tree command, would the filesystem corruption still be present (rebuilt along with the files etc).

Thanks!

DB

• If I had pre-cleared the drive and had parity rebuild it instead of using the rebuild tree command, would the filesystem corruption still be present (rebuilt along with the files etc).

The disk is rebuilt using the combination of all the other data disks plus the parity disk (not just the parity as you implied in the question).

Yes the corruption would still be present.  The rebuild process works at the sector level and reinstates the 'disk' as it should be - it is not file system aware.

The disk is rebuilt using the combination of all the other data disks plus the parity disk (not just the parity as you implied in the question).

Yes the corruption would still be present.  The rebuild process works at the sector level and reinstates the 'disk' as it should be - it is not file system aware.

Thanks! That's kind of what I figured, but wanted to get a second opinion :).

Re: Question 1. Can anyone answer this? Am I just missing something obvious? The wiki states that the rebuild can happen from the GUI, but there doesn't appear to be a way to input the 'Yes' confirmation other than through Putty...

Thanks for any input!

Archived