The folder that goes on forever

watkinsjc

I'm way out of my depth here.

I have recently upgraded my home media server to V 6.1.2.  Everything with the upgrade went flawlessly. Afterwords I added some new hardware, including a SATA card and three new 3TB hard drives.

To make matters more complicated, I also decided that it was the perfect time to migrate my existing REISERFS drives to XFS drives.

I managed to migrate all but 2 (of 10 data drives) to XFS before disaster struck. One of my existing drives redballed as I was copying from one of the remaining REISERFS drives to a newly formatted XFS drive.  (If it's simpler, DRIVE1 failed while I was copying data from DRIVE7 to DRIVE6.)

I installed a spare (new) drive in the #1 position and let it rebuild from parity. Everything finished and appeared to be successful until I looked at one of the directories under a SMB share.

I have a share named "Movies" when navigating to this share, there is a (New and not placed there by me) folder inside of that share titled "Movies". When I navigate to this folder it returns me to the "Movies" share like the screen was just refreshed. When this happens the last modified date/time on the new folder is updated.

I am assuming this is something simple that I don't understand - some kind of symlink or hard link that was created when my drive failed or during the copy process.

All of my data appears to be intact, but I am unable to scan the folder with PLEX because it gets caught in a loop when it reaches the "nested" Movies folder.

I apologize for not having any useful syslogs - I wasn't that there was an anomaly until I had rebooted several times.

If anyone has advice for me, I'm all ears!

-Josh

Trul and lionelhutz, thanks for the replies!!

When I run

ls -lah /mnt/user/Movies

the nested folder is not there! This confuses me even more - I could have sworn that it was present there the last time that I looked!

I also looked at the contents of every disk individually and did not see anything abnormal.

I will be able to take my array down tomorrow to run file systems checks on all of the disks.

If nothing makes itself apparent I have enough space to create a new share and move the 2000 directories under "Movies" to that share. Hopefully then I would be able to delete the existing share with the nested folder.. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you both a ton for helping me out here - I'm not well versed enough to make much more progress without some guidance.

-Josh

Archived