Amazon Cloud/Crashplan

bobbintb

I am looking into backing up my 20TB (if full) server. I initially settled on Crashplan but the problem with that is the upload speeds where I live are ridiculously slow, like 2-3mbit I think. It would literally take years. Alternatively, my brother lives a few hours away in an area that has Google Fiber and I could take it there and, theoretically at least, upload it all in days or weeks. The problem with that is I hear Crashplan throttles upload and since my brother has the free 5mbit plan and not the gigabit, I would have to pay for a month of his internet just to test it.

Recently Amazon introduces a similar offering to Crashplan but with a focus on storage instead of backup. I would think Amazon would like be better equipped to handle the bandwidth issues and not need to throttle but I also think they would be more... invasive. I don't know what options I have to encrypt data to keep them from poking around. They also don't have a program like Google Drive and Dropbox have that syncs your drive to the cloud but I believe there are third party programs that will, but again, not sure how that will work with encryption. Lastly, I always wanted to share my Plex media library with my family but because of the upload speed that isn't possible. I was thinking if I could share my Amazon Cloud share with them that would be feasible.

Have anyone had experience with any of the things I am talking about or have any sort of comment that could give me better insight to my options?

No experience at all on what you need. I am nowhere near a Google Fiber or anything close to doing the bandwidth required.

But if what I want to back up are TV shows and Movies... I basically rely on my friends and family. I once messed up and lost all data in one of my array drives. I was able to rebuild about 70% of it from my friends and family who have "similar" media libraries. So I gave them a portable hard drive where they copied what they had that I needed. If there was anything missing, I had to re-acquire it by the traditional methods.

Sorry this is not what you were thinking/asking... But I think its somewhat practical. Convince your local buddies to setup systems of their own and build your own network  like that.

Relying on friends and family is not really an option. I have made some progress though. It requires a combination of a few programs. I don't think using it with Plex will worth though because there is just too many layers of virtualization. I would have one program mount Amazon Cloud Drive as a network drive and another program would in turn mount that as a virtual drive to encrypt it. So you drag files to the one drive, they get encrypted and it puts them in the network drive. It just doesn't really work with Plex, probably too many layers of virtualization to play back a file in real time.

I am looking into backing up my 20TB (if full) server. I initially settled on Crashplan but the problem with that is the upload speeds where I live are ridiculously slow, like 2-3mbit I think. It would literally take years. Alternatively, my brother lives a few hours away in an area that has Google Fiber and I could take it there and, theoretically at least, upload it all in days or weeks. The problem with that is I hear Crashplan throttles upload and since my brother has the free 5mbit plan and not the gigabit, I would have to pay for a month of his internet just to test it.

Recently Amazon introduces a similar offering to Crashplan but with a focus on storage instead of backup. I would think Amazon would like be better equipped to handle the bandwidth issues and not need to throttle but I also think they would be more... invasive. I don't know what options I have to encrypt data to keep them from poking around. They also don't have a program like Google Drive and Dropbox have that syncs your drive to the cloud but I believe there are third party programs that will, but again, not sure how that will work with encryption. Lastly, I always wanted to share my Plex media library with my family but because of the upload speed that isn't possible. I was thinking if I could share my Amazon Cloud share with them that would be feasible.

Have anyone had experience with any of the things I am talking about or have any sort of comment that could give me better insight to my options?

Was in the same boat you were in. I had 36TB of data to back up, then decided what do I really need. I let go of my entire movie library, entire music library, concerts, award shows, any media content that was not personal to me. Boiled down to less then 1TB. Uploaded it to Crashplan, all done. I just had to let go of the movies and music. It was holding on to me.

Archived