We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Upgraded gtx 660 Ti to gtx 970 now passthrough not working properly

breakline

So I upgraded from an MSI twin frozr gtx 660 Ti to an asus gtx 970 strix and when I boot into windows with the 970 it only detects 1 of 3 monitors and in device manager it's the dreaded code 43 again.

One weird thing I notice is that when I shut down or force stop the VM's with this card is the monitor stays active like it doesn't go to power save mode.

everything works great with the 660Ti all 3 monitors & latest drivers and has for months.

heres the steps I have tried:

and the ONLY difference is the video card.

win 8.1  x64 or win 10 x64 new and existing VM's

older nvidia drivers .

fresh unraid install.

with and with out pcie_acs_override=downstream

with and without amd_iommu=on iommu=pt iommu=1 vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1

checked xml's with diff >    https://www.diffchecker.com/hdz5w3pz

asus bios update checker said up to date for the video card.

motherboard bios up to date.

q35 and I440fx

seabios and ovmf

different PCIe slots and 660 Ti works fine in both.

with and without the 660 Ti installed.

here is my build:

motherboard : ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer

cpu: fx8350

ram:32GB trident x ddr3 2400

gpu:MSI twin Frozr gtx 660 Ti

gpu: ASUS strix gtx970

any help would be appreciated  , I'm stuck .

So I upgraded from an MSI twin frozr gtx 660 Ti to an asus gtx 970 strix and when I boot into windows with the 970 it only detects 1 of 3 monitors and in device manager it's the dreaded code 43 again.

One weird thing I notice is that when I shut down or force stop the VM's with this card is the monitor stays active like it doesn't go to power save mode.

everything works great with the 660Ti all 3 monitors & latest drivers and has for months.

heres the steps I have tried:

and the ONLY difference is the video card.

win 8.1  x64 or win 10 x64 new and existing VM's

older nvidia drivers .

fresh unraid install.

with and with out pcie_acs_override=downstream

with and without amd_iommu=on iommu=pt iommu=1 vfio_iommu_type1.allow_unsafe_interrupts=1

checked xml's with diff >    https://www.diffchecker.com/hdz5w3pz

asus bios update checker said up to date for the video card.

motherboard bios up to date.

q35 and I440fx

seabios and ovmf

different PCIe slots and 660 Ti works fine in both.

with and without the 660 Ti installed.

here is my build:

motherboard : ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer

cpu: fx8350

ram:32GB trident x ddr3 2400

gpu:MSI twin Frozr gtx 660 Ti

gpu: ASUS strix gtx970

any help would be appreciated  , I'm stuck .

Have you tried the GPU rom file trick?

Have you tried the GPU rom file trick?

I tried that today and there were 4 different rom files for my card so I downloaded all of them and renamed them rom1 - rom4 and I tried .bin and .rom  and tried again with all steps in my first post.

When I add the code  to the xml I get no output at all.

any other tricks or should I just go back to my 660 Ti ? or maybe a similar card that would work ? I'm just afraid to get another card and go through the same steps again to have it still not work.

Hmm, a bit at a loss here as to why that card wouldn't work, but it wouldn't be the first Asus GPU device we've seen odd issues with.  What's throwing me off is that you're getting a code 43 error.  Just to confirm, Hyper-V is not enabled under Advanced View for this VM, right?

I had similar issues getting up and running but my Asus GTX970 Turbo works fine now in both Windows 2008 Server R2 and Linux Mint 17.2. I originally did have HyperV enabled on Win VM and also saw the error43 message until starting with that disabled.

It also may have been a problem that I was attempting to update drivers over RDP instead of the GPU passthrough, sort of forgot as I have never used that before.

yeah hyper-v always disabled  , I've re-installed windows many times on my 660 Ti .

what I'm doing now is creating a base image for windows 10 and windows 8 cuz I really don't wanna do the virtio drivers install anymore lol.

I decided to simplify things even more so I removed all but one hdmi output from the 970  and I still get the same results.

I really don't understand what's happening but after I update the drivers the image gets worse with drivers from Nvidia site or via device manager like it goes from 720p(Microsoft display adapter) to 640x840 or worse.

my next step is try a different OS and see what the results are, I saw a lot of arch in the confirmed working doc for 970 but don't know much about it. I have until the 24th to return this card so I'm going to keep trying until the weekend unless I figure out it for sure wont work.

and THANKS for the help seriously much appreciated!!!

Archived