Drive replacement query

magic144

Was just reading through another thread:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=43619.0

didn't want to hijack it, so I'll ask my question here.

The thread says that, in replacing a drive, you need to first unassign the old drive, then start the array so it shows as missing, then stop the array, then assign the new drive, then start the array to start the rebuild.

As far as I'm aware, I've never had to do some of these extra steps. I usually just stop the array, power down, replace (swap) the drive, power up and start the array with a confirmation and then rebuild just happens.

Have I been doing something wrong? - it always just works this way for me (am on 6.1.3 and did this just the other day)!!

Was just reading through another thread:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=43619.0

didn't want to hijack it, so I'll ask my question here.

The thread says that, in replacing a drive, you need to first unassign the old drive, then start the array so it shows as missing, then stop the array, then assign the new drive, then start the array to start the rebuild.

As far as I'm aware, I've never had to do some of these extra steps. I usually just stop the array, power down, replace (swap) the drive, power up and start the array with a confirmation and then rebuild just happens.

Have I been doing something wrong? - it always just works this way for me (am on 6.1.3 and did this just the other day)!!

That's fine and the way I have always done it. It's only needed to unassign the drive if it is still installed.

Ah I think I see. Thanks trurl.

So you just need to do the extra little dance if you leave the old drive physically in-place (for testing or some other reason) and want to rebuild its contents onto a new drive (on a physically distinct port)?

I'm not sure it's really needed even then. I recently did a lot of shuffling, replacing 4TB drives with 6TB, then reusing those 4TB to replace 3TB. I think the only thing I did was just select the drive I wanted for the slot and it worked.

The only time I believe it's really needed is when you want to rebuild a drive to the same drive. Then you have to make unRAID "forget" the drive so it will know to rebuild.

Archived