Clean shutdown vs Starting with Parity Check

extremeaudio

90% of all times, I am in a situation where I lose web UI for some reason or the other and end up with only command line access.

I have installed the shutdown script (or at least I think I have) by adding the following lines to the go file

installpkg /boot/packages/powerdown-1.02.tgz

sysctl -w kernel.poweroff_cmd="/sbin/powerdown"

and obviously by putting the powerdown-1.02.tgz file in the location specified above.

But pressing the power button doesn't shut down the server. I assume motherboard is not compatible. How do I shut it down gracefully from command? If I type in /sbin/powerdown at the prompt, sometimes I lose command access also, and the server still remains powered on, causing me to pull the power on the server.  How do I avoid this?

And what is the difference between graceful shutdown or the one that results in the parity check at the beginning? At worst, its just a check, right? Or is that unhealthy?

You are installing an older version of powerdown that is not compatible with V6.  You do not need to do anything in the go file, in fact it's frowned upon to do that.

Install the plugin here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=31735.0

Be sure to remove the line from the go file and the powerdown package from the /boot/packages folder.

EDIT: Also update to v6.1.3 which has changes causing plugin compatibility issues with previous versions.  Be sure the plugins you use are 6.1 compatible.

For v6 you should install  a plugin via the Plugins tab.

Also, the current version of the plugin is 2.18 - very different to what you appear to have used.  I expect what you have used is not compatible with the current version of unRAID.

Yeah, that's because I have been upgrading from older versions of unraid without knowing that these ancillaries have since evolved. Thanks for pointing it out though. I think I have enough info to get this sorted.

You are installing an older version of powerdown that is not compatible with V6.  You do not need to do anything in the go file, in fact it's frowned upon to do that.

Install the plugin here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=31735.0

Be sure to remove the line from the go file and the powerdown package from the /boot/packages folder.

Duly noted.

Archived