Reboot via Command Line not working

raiditup

I've been trying to reboot my Unraid 6 server via command line while logged in through SSH.  I tried using "powerdown -r" but the -r flag seems to be ignored and all it does is power off the server completely.  Is there a different command I should be using?

I initially tried shutdown -r now but that causes an unclean shutdown and it does a parity check when it starts back up.  Any help would be mucho appreciated and sorry if the answer has already been posted somewhere else.

LOL.  I tried "reboot" and it looks like it did an unclean shutdown.  It rebooted but now my server is running a Parity Check.  I think it did the same thing as a "shutdown -r now".

If you install the Powerdown plugin that it does a more robust shutdown than the built-in powerdown command.  I expect that at some point the built-in version will be upgraded to make the plugin superfluous but at the moment that is not the case.

LOL.  I tried "reboot" and it looks like it did an unclean shutdown.  It rebooted but now my server is running a Parity Check.  I think it did the same thing as a "shutdown -r now".

If you install the Powerdown plugin that it does a more robust shutdown than the built-in powerdown command.  I expect that at some point the built-in version will be upgraded to make the plugin superfluous but at the moment that is not the case.

The built in "reboot" should shutdown the array cleanly.  It calls emhttp to do an shutdown that is the same as the shutdown from the webgui.  It should be clean.

After installing the powerdown plugin, do a cli reboot and post the log that is saved at /flash/logs so we can see what is causing the unclean shutdown.

• 2 months later...

I did issue a reboot command and happened to me just now: unRAID detected an unclean shutdown...

Are you sure you had the Powerdown plugin installed?    If not then the reboot command will bypass the unRAID tidy shutdown.

Instead of using reboot maybe you should try:

powerdown -r

as that would return an error if you have not got the plugin installed.

I don't have the plugin. Is it the plugin that copies the log to the flash?

How is it possibile that, in order to perform the most basic of the commands in the universe of Linux, you need an additional plugin to make it work?

The shutdown of an unraid array is not the most basic of Linux commands.  All processes on the array need to be stopped before the array can be shutdown and disks unmounted.  The most likely culprit is a plugin that is not shutting down properly.

The powerdown plugin is not a requirement, but it provides some extra features like keeping an archive of logs.

To troubleshoot the shutdown problem install this plugin http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=42881.0, click on the Help and follow the instructions near the bottom of the page.  This will show you which process is holding up the shutdown.

I don't have the plugin. Is it the plugin that copies the log to the flash?

Yes - this is part of the additional functionality added via the plugin.  I would strongly recommend installing the Powerdown plugin

How is it possibile that, in order to perform the most basic of the commands in the universe of Linux, you need an additional plugin to make it work?

The idea is that you should not be working at the command line, but via the GUI and then this becomes a moot point.

Having said that I expect at some time (hopefully soon) the enhanced functionality provided by the Powerdown plugin will be incorporated into the base unRAID system so that even working at the CLI level it functions as expected.  Possibly the most important enhancement the plugin provides is that it normally achieves a tidy shutdown even when the web GUI is unresponsive as this is one case where you are likely to be working at the CLI level.

Archived