Can my unraid server do all my internet stuff too? (Long!)

madmanmike

Hi guys

I am on the cusp of pulling the trigger on my hardware build and I want to ask one more, all encompassing question.

Presently I am running just about all my 'server' stuff on my MacBook Pro. Time Machine and other data backups done to an external USB3 MyPassport 2tb drive. The external drive also houses most all my media (movies and TV shows). I run PMS for the media. I run Sonarr and SAbNzbd for downloading. Movies I manually add by browsing my nzb server and downloading the nzb and adding it manually to Sab.

My connection is via a 30mbit fiber connection. I run an OpenVPN client on the MacBook and run all my internet thru the VPN. I get about triple the download speeds using the VPN, I guess my ISP throttles if I just use them.

I kinda understand the concept of Dockers, to a point. Now for the questions (Finally!):

1. Would I run Sab and Sonarr in their own, separate dockers? And even though they are isolated to specific areas of the server memory and storage, they can communicate with each other? Sonarr sends nzbs to Sab to download? Also, when I am browsing on my Mac and find a movie I want, I can somehow send the NZB to the Sab docker and have it download?

2. Can I somehow set up an 'Internet Docker' and connect to my VPN? Then have all apps that access the internet use that docker connection? My VPN service won't allow me to have multiple connections.  Or is it easier (albeit more expensive) to buy a second router that has VPN client capability and run all internet thru that?

3. Can I plug the Passport USB3 drive into the server and still use it for critical backups (Time machine, not media), hopefully orchestrated by unraid?

Can you please order hardware items as fas as their bang for the buck? (i.e. which are the most worthwhile to maximize server operation)

Processor

RAM

Cache drive

I ask that because I only want to buy once. Don't wanna buy the i3 and wish later that the i5 or i7 would have been a much better choice. Conversely, I don't want to buy 16gb RAM if 8gb is more than enough.

4. I want to eventually game on this rig, and I read that there are some Dockers and/or VMs that require a separate GPU (not the onboard one most MOBOs have). Does that mean it is difficult/impossible to casual game without one? I don't need 4k at 60fps, but can you generally do medium game settings on a rig without a GPU?

Sorry for the long post, thank you for reading and I eagerly look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you

Michael

1. Would I run Sab and Sonarr in their own, separate dockers? And even though they are isolated to specific areas of the server memory and storage, they can communicate with each other? Sonarr sends nzbs to Sab to download? Also, when I am browsing on my Mac and find a movie I want, I can somehow send the NZB to the Sab docker and have it download?

Poliely, I would like to say that I do not think you understand docker.  They will have access to all, yes.  It works like installing on a windows box, except its in a container.  Basically when you are done, each docker runs on a different port, just like you are used to.

2. Can I somehow set up an 'Internet Docker' and connect to my VPN? Then have all apps that access the internet use that docker connection? My VPN service won't allow me to have multiple connections.  Or is it easier (albeit more expensive) to buy a second router that has VPN client capability and run all internet thru that?

OpenVPN has its own docker container I believe.  No need for more hardware

3. Can I plug the Passport USB3 drive into the server and still use it for critical backups (Time machine, not media), hopefully orchestrated by unraid?

Why would you want to use the passport when it wouldnt be protected by the array?  If Time Machine supports backing up to a network location, do it directly to unraid, but to answer your question, yes you can mount devices to unraid outside of the protected array.  I have a 500GB mounted for temp scratch storage.

Can you please order hardware items as fas as their bang for the buck? (i.e. which are the most worthwhile to maximize server operation)

Processor

RAM

Cache drive

I ask that because I only want to buy once. Don't wanna buy the i3 and wish later that the i5 or i7 would have been a much better choice. Conversely, I don't want to buy 16gb RAM if 8gb is more than enough.

This is personal preference.  If you are planning to use something like Plex, a good CPU for transcoding would be nice.  Otherwise, a single core CPU will do fine.  Unraid is light.  Similarly, will you be running VMs?  If so, consider a decent CPU and RAM amount that matches your needs.  I believe PSU is the most important.  Read about this.  make sure you get a PSU with a single 12v rail

4. I want to eventually game on this rig, and I read that there are some Dockers and/or VMs that require a separate GPU (not the onboard one most MOBOs have). Does that mean it is difficult/impossible to casual game without one? I don't need 4k at 60fps, but can you generally do medium game settings on a rig without a GPU?

I have not heard this, but you CAN pass the GPU to a VM and game on it.  Remember, unraid will be almost 0 percent utilized mose of the time.  Many people game on their rigs.  But you need a board that will support VT-i for IO passthrough.  Do your research

Sorry for the long post, thank you for reading and I eagerly look forward to hearing from you.

Politely, I would like to say that I do not think you understand docker.  They will have access to all, yes.  It works like installing on a windows box, except its in a container.  Basically when you are done, each docker runs on a different port, just like you are used to.

No need to be polite. I almost surely don't understand Dockers.

OpenVPN has its own docker container I believe.  No need for more hardware

I find info on an OpenVPN server, but can't find Client.

Why would you want to use the passport when it wouldnt be protected by the array?  If Time Machine supports backing up to a network location, do it directly to unraid, but to answer your question, yes you can mount devices to unraid outside of the protected array.  I have a 500GB mounted for temp scratch storage.

Want both. The more backups the better. Independent ones.

This is personal preference.  If you are planning to use something like Plex, a good CPU for transcoding would be nice.  Otherwise, a single core CPU will do fine.  Unraid is light.  Similarly, will you be running VMs?  If so, consider a decent CPU and RAM amount that matches your needs.  I believe PSU is the most important.  Read about this.  make sure you get a PSU with a single 12v rail

OK on the PSU. So, cache drive isn't even on your radar?

I have not heard this, but you CAN pass the GPU to a VM and game on it.  Remember, unraid will be almost 0 percent utilized mose of the time.  Many people game on their rigs.  But you need a board that will support VT-i for IO passthrough.  Do your research

Not sure about passing GPU stuff (on-board or separate card?), but do know about VT-i, my MOBO has it.

Thank you for replying! I appreciate it.

Michael

Yes, separate dockers. You can also use Chrome and the Sabconnect++ extension to do this for most of the NZB indexers. Sabconnect++ adds an additional button next to the NZB on the page, and when you click it, it goes straight to SabNZBD. You can also use categories to have Sabconnect++ and SabNZBD download the files to directories that you have set up to specifically process that type of media (movies, tv show, etc.) to rename it and move it to the appropriate folders.

Cache drive is definitely up there...if you plan to run docker or VMs especially, I would go no less than an SSD

Also to your question about GPU it is almost always a second card.  I believe you can only pass through the PCI bus (PCIe included)

Then you can access the unraid console from the onboard video