Any HowTo's For Setting Up Media Automation?

Drider

I'm almost ashamed to be asking for help, as I feel I'm am more than capable of getting this done.  Recently time has become more of a priority to me, and I've learned there are just somethings I need to rely on others and their expertise for.  Believe me I'm no stranger to the search function, but after spending two whole evenings trying to research how to get this done while not killing my server, I'm still at square one with no answers...  It's a bit frustrating.  With close to a half million posts in the forum, even the best worded search brings back so many results it's impossible to find the answer efficiently.

So here's what I'm after:

With Plex media server running on my unRAID server I've added Plex Request.  Within this I've noticed there are features for Couchpotato, and Sonar which I would like to implement on my server for automatic downloading, and organization of media, base off requests from my users.  From what I understand, I also have to also install a torrent client like Deluge, Transmission, or NZBGet.  From what I understand they work best with some sort of subscription based newsgroups?  I would like to avoid having to buy more services however, if I must, then I will.  In addition have an account with TorGuard and I would like to be able to use this VPN to continue to download with, as my ISP has very prying eyes.  I have no idea how to configure these systems to work together on my server.  Again, I know I can figure it out, but I can't justify the 1000's of dollars’ worth of billable time for my business I'd sacrifice, to try and piece together information scattered in the forums, and risk messing my server up something awful.

I'm not asking for someone else to dump their time to save mine, but surely with how many post I see matching Key words like <Torrent> | <OPEN/VPN> | <COUCHPOTATO> | <SLICKRAGE> | <SONAR> | <TRANSMISSION> | <NBZGET> I know there's some real experts on here who can point me in the right directions.  I'm just surprised there's no HowTo's on this...  OR...  Are there??  :-X

On a side note:

Since I recently upgraded to the latest release of unRAID 6.1.3, I've noticed I can no longer see my disk shares, (including cache drives), for any drives that are included in a user share while browsing within explorer across my network. Is this a new setting somewhere?

I thank you for your time, and really hope you can help a guy out.

Firstly, torrents and NZBs are different things. You seem to have them mixed up. Torrents are peer-to-peer filesharing. NZBs are references to multipart Usenet binaries, which is where newsservers come into play. Usually, NZBs and torrents are handled by different applications. Have you ever used any of these applications? Probably most who are using them on unRAID used them on their PC for a while before trying to set them up on unRAID.

I think the things you are asking about aren't really going to be explained that much within the unRAID forums, because they are not really about unRAID. The applications used each have their own websites and forums. Maybe try searching Google instead.

As for your disk shares, the default now is to not share any disk that is part of a user share. This can be changed in Global Share Settings, but be aware that this setting is this way to protect you from the User Share Copy Bug.

Hi trurl,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I have been using various torrent applications through the years, hence the VM I have been running as my download box.  You are correct that I'm probably getting things very mixed up as I have zero experience with Usenet binaries and newsservers, and implementing this all on unRAID.

I understand unRAID forums might be more focused in setting these applications up to work within the docker containers, and that's mainly what I'm after, is really setting them up.  Really the main question I need help answering is setting up the VPN tunnel connection between my downloader in unRAID and my TorGuard account.  I'm sure I can figure out the rest.  Is it even possible to use TorGuard with any of the VPN ready dockers, (DelugeVPN, NZBGetVPN)?

Thanks for pointing out about the disk shares.  I swear I've looked at the global settings a hundred times now, but it never registered being on Auto until you pointed it out now.  I am aware of the Share Copy Bug, but Honestly, I've never had an issue with it.  I've always used File explorer with SMB just to quickly browse drives, and use Telnet + Screen for my actual Copy & Move functions between disks.

Question though.  Now that's I've set disk shares to all, it's sharing out all sub folders per disk.  It used to be it would only share the root drive, and the shares I specifically set up.  Do I now have to manually configure each sub folder's sharing properties on a disk if I don't want the subfolder visible outside of the disk itself through SMB?

Thanks again.

Question though.  Now that's I've set disk shares to all, it's sharing out all sub folders per disk.  It used to be it would only share the root drive, and the shares I specifically set up.  Do I now have to manually configure each sub folder's sharing properties on a disk if I don't want the subfolder visible outside of the disk itself through SMB?

Not entirely clear what you mean. Each top level folder of cache or any array drive is automatically aggregated into a user share named for that folder. That is the way it has always been. If you don't configure a user share it will have default settings, which include public access.

I have one Disk, Disk7, with multiple folders in the root of the drive.  Once I set The Global setting "Enable Disk Shares" to yes, all root directories of Disk7 now have been created as user shares.  The only shares I used to have listed were <Cache> | <Disk1-13> | & Specific Shares I had created on disks 1-3.

Again, now every folder on the root of each disk has become a user share, as well as my Disks themselves the cache drive, and the defined share I had made on disk 1-3.

Is there anyway to turn off the automatic creation of a user share on the top level folders of a disk?

There aren't any how-to's other than those on various forums. There is nothing different in using dockers than there is, as if all the apps were installed on say a windows machine. You have to get your head around the process flow and then it's just a case of setting up each app.

For torrents you need:

plex requests -> Couchpotato (for Movies) or Sickrage (for TV)

CP needs a torrent tracker to search for movies and a torrent client to send the .torrent file to. A typical example would be to use passthepopcorn for the tracker and transmission as the torrent client.

Sickrage needs a torrent tracker to search for TV Shows and a torrent client to send the .torrent file to. A typical example would be to use Broadcasthenet for the tracker and transmission as the torrent client.

Newsgroups are slightly different but the basic principle of searching and downloading is the same.

Then its just a case of once the files have downloaded the automator (SR/CP) knows where transmission has downloaded those files, so that it can process them and put them in the correct folders for plex to find the content.

good luck!

I have one Disk, Disk7, with multiple folders in the root of the drive.  Once I set The Global setting "Enable Disk Shares" to yes, all root directories of Disk7 now have been created as user shares.  The only shares I used to have listed were <Cache> | <Disk1-13> | & Specific Shares I had created on disks 1-3.

Again, now every folder on the root of each disk has become a user share, as well as my Disks themselves the cache drive, and the defined share I had made on disk 1-3.

Is there anyway to turn off the automatic creation of a user share on the top level folders of a disk?

Have you tried turning on Help? I think the solution is on the Global Share Settings. Either include disks you want to have user shares, or exclude disks you don't want to have user shares. Don't set both include and exclude since it is never necessary and you might make them inconsistent.

There aren't any how-to's other than those on various forums. There is nothing different in using dockers than there is, as if all the apps were installed on say a windows machine. You have to get your head around the process flow and then it's just a case of setting up each app.

For torrents you need:

plex requests -> Couchpotato (for Movies) or Sickrage (for TV)

CP needs a torrent tracker to search for movies and a torrent client to send the .torrent file to. A typical example would be to use passthepopcorn for the tracker and transmission as the torrent client.

Sickrage needs a torrent tracker to search for TV Shows and a torrent client to send the .torrent file to. A typical example would be to use Broadcasthenet for the tracker and transmission as the torrent client.

Newsgroups are slightly different but the basic principle of searching and downloading is the same.

Then its just a case of once the files have downloaded the automator (SR/CP) knows where transmission has downloaded those files, so that it can process them and put them in the correct folders for plex to find the content.

good luck!

Thank you, I believe this is the exact information I was looking for.