Server dead. Trying to read drives via Linux fails.

page3

A power-cut has taken out my server (even though it has a UPS and surge-protector).

The disks were formatted to XFS, directly from UnRAID.

I only have access to a Mac, which cannot read XFS so have installed Ubuntu 14 under VMWare.

I have an external USB caddy. The drives can show up in 'disks', but when I try to mount them I get the following error:

Error mounting /dev/sdb1 at /media/davisa/3e3be4f8-1f83-441c-9630-96eacd67fd5f: Command-line `mount -t "xfs" -o "uhelper=udisks2,nodev,nosuid" "/dev/sdb1" "/media/davisa/3e3be4f8-1f83-441c-9630-96eacd67fd5f"' exited with non-zero exit status 32: mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,

missing codepage or helper program, or other error

In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try

dmesg | tail  or so

(udisks-error-quark, 0)

I thought that array disks would be readable outside the array, am I mistaken or doing something wrong? Help appreciated :)

Normally plugging an unRAID disk into a Linux system "just works".

What size are the disks?  I have a feeling that VMWare cannot handle disks larger than 2TB.

Do you have a DVD drive for the Mac?  If so you might be able to use a Linux 'live' DVD and boot into that instead of Mac OS.  That would bypass VMWare and might be a way of getting at the data on the disks.

Thanks for the advice :)

Disks are WD 2Tb Red's. I'm hoping the issue is with VMware or the external USB caddy rather than any corruption on the drives.

I can try fdisk -l tonight (I'm in the UK).

I am able to borrow an old HP box from work to set-up a temporary UnRaid server. I'll do some searching here, but assume I can simply boot from my USB install and re-assign the drives etc. This would hopefully be a good way to recover things.

Disks are WD 2Tb Red's. I'm hoping the issue is with VMware or the external USB caddy rather than any corruption on the drives.

I am able to borrow an old HP box from work to set-up a temporary UnRaid server. I'll do some searching here, but assume I can simply boot from my USB install and re-assign the drives etc. This would hopefully be a good way to recover things.

Sounds like you're making tracks in the right direction.  I guess being from the UK explains your username then.....  ;D

Whereabouts?  I'm in Staffs...

Sounds like you're making tracks in the right direction.  I guess being from the UK explains your username then.....  ;D

Whereabouts?  I'm in Staffs...

Chilterns, Bucks :)

The Page3 isn't what you think! During my youth my parents ran an out of print book finding service and I was one of four sons. The business was called "The Four Pages" and as the third son I got labelled as "Page 3". Seems to have stuck ;)

I *really* hope my disks are OK. I can't see why they're be corrupt. They probably weren't even spun up at the time.

I've used VMWare/Ubuntu to read Reiser disks before, but never had to try since upgrading to XFS.

Once this is done, I REALLY need to sort a backup solution from UnRAID to a small NAS/USB. I@ve struggled with this for some time and keep giving up. I think this is the one area where the likes of Synology/QNAP do better.

Just to update...

I brought back a borrowed pc from work. Can't try UnRAID yet as I need a few more sata cables, which I've ordered.

I did however boot up a live Linux distribution and that read the xfs disks just fine. Look like my problem was VMware/Mac related.

Will try UnRAID on it once the cables arrive.