Recommending: ASUS P5LD2-VM R2.0

I originally built my box using the ASUS P5PE-VM - which after a few weeks the network port failed (see other thread in this forum).  Instead of simply replacing it I bought this motherboard instead.  So far it seems to work quite well and with four on-board SATA ports and one promise SATA controller you have 8 SATA II ports, and adding one more promise controller will get you up to 12.

There is a thread in the Hardware forum about the "Ultimate" un-raid server that tipped me off to it.  Seems to work really well.  (knock wood)

ASUS P5LD2-VM R2.0

$91.18 at Buy.com with Google Checkout

Motherboard Capabilities:

4 Onboard Serial ATA II (300MB/s) Ports - Recognized by unRAID

4 PATA Drives Can be Added Onboard (If you want a mixed system)

Dual Channel DDR2 Memory Support (DDR2 667)

ICH7 I/O

Supports Intel 775 Pentium 4 through Core2Duo CPUs

Intel Pro Gigabit LAN

Intel 950 Integrated Graphics (DirectX 9)

PCI Express 16x Slot

HD Audio

More advanced Intel 945G Chipset

8 USB 2.0 Ports

ASUS CrashFree BIOS2

Q-Fan automatic fan RPM control in BIOS (Quiet Operation)

Thanks for the info, dstroot!  I wish you had posted this earlier (and that I had read the Ultimate guide and the Intel ICH8 posts a little closer).

I spent a number of hours this weekend trying to find a good mobo for my 2nd unRAID build, and I was looking for a solution that could grow into a 12 SATA disk solution like this.  I ended up sticking with the P5PE-VM (eBay...auction was ending and I couldn't resist) even though I don't think it can be a 12 SATA disk solution (I'm assuming 10 SATA and 2 IDE due to only 2 SATA ports on board).

I'm not sure if I looked at this particular one, but I did look at an Asus with 2 PCI slots, but with the ethernet problems that people have had with the P5PE-VM, I was concerned about possibly having to use one for a NIC leaving me with a total of only 8 SATA drives.  Do you think the Intel Pro will fare better than the ethernet that's on the P5PE-VM?

I bought this MB to replace my old gigabyte (which took a dump) that I was using in my Unraid server.  I got it running today only to find that the onboard LAN was DOA.  Apparently Asus (or their suppliers) are having some really quality control issues with their LAN.    I still believe Asus is the best motherboard company around, but looking at the numbers of LAN failure just among the users here on this board, the issue is a bit ridiculous.    I popped in a gigabit NIC but that isn't a real solution because I had to take out one of my promise cards to do it.  That's not a huge problem right now because I only have 7 drives, but it will become a major issue.

I think I'm going to return it.  It's still within the 30 day return window for newegg.  But what to buy?    Hmmm. 

• 1 month later...

They look very similar, although I suspect the later versions of the DH (or Digital Home, or DH) model is one dstroot described:

Specs for the Asus P5LD2-VM here:  http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=194&model=536&modelmenu=2

Basic Specs:

- Intel 945G chipset

- Intel LGA775 Pentium 4 CPU

- Dual-Core CPU Support

- Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

- DDR2 667/533/400

- Intel Gb LAN

- 64-bit CPU support

Specs for the ASUS P5LD2-VM DH here:  http://usa.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=11&l3=194&model=1146&modelmenu=2

Basic Specs:

- LGA775 socket for Intel® 65nm Pentium D/Pentium 4/Celeron CPU

- Intel® Core™2 Extreme / Core™2 Duo Ready

- Intel 945G +Intel ICH7 DH; Support Intel Viiv™ Technology

- 1066/800/ 533 MHz

- Dual-channel DDR2 667/ 533

- 1 x PCI-E x 16 / 1 x PCI-E x 1/ 2 x PCI

- Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

- Intel Matrix Storage technology

- Intel Gb LAN

- 8-Channel HD audio

- Intel Quick Resume