SMART HDD Power On Hours 77086, 9 years?

One my older Seagate 2TB drives is showing a RAW value of 77086, if my math is correct, this thing is almost 9 years old.  Am I looking at the right value here?  I am curious to see some people who have been at this a while and how old some of their drives might be.  9 years seems pretty long for an HDD these days.  If I am right, I don't even wanna know what I paid for this thing 9 years ago

One my older Seagate 2TB drives is showing a RAW value of 77086, if my math is correct, this thing is almost 9 years old.  Am I looking at the right value here?

Are you looking at the power-on hours value?  If so, that value would indeed be close to 9 years -- but it can't be correct for a 2TB drive, as drives that size weren't available 9 years ago.    FWIW 9 years ago  the earliest 750GB drives were just coming on the market -- I bought a couple for ~ $250 each.    1TB drives were about a year later, with 1.5TB and then 2TB drives following about a year apart.  So the oldest 2TB drives today would be about 6-7 years old.    If you have a 2TB showing that many hours something is wrong with the SMART data.

... If I am right, I don't even wanna know what I paid for this thing 9 years ago

Trust me, it wasn't all that much.    Modern drives (anything in the past decade) are VERY inexpensive historically.    The first hard drive I bought for my home was a 26MB  (Yes, MB) Seagate that, after a 10% discount, cost me $4500.    That's about $173 MILLION per TB  :)    ... and that was in 1980, so in today's dollars that would be over half a billion dollars !!  [$530 million to be precise]    A 2TB drive at that rate would cost over a billion dollars  8)

Here is a snippet of the smart data from unraid.  Let me know what you think

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 10

Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:

ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG    VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE

1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate    0x000f  114  099  006    Pre-fail  Always      -      67489640

3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0003  093  087  000    Pre-fail  Always      -      0

4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032  098  098  020    Old_age  Always      -      2747

5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct  0x0033  100  100  036    Pre-fail  Always      -      0

7 Seek_Error_Rate        0x000f  072  060  030    Pre-fail  Always      -      19735809

9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032  012  012  000    Old_age  Always      -      77170

10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013  100  100  097    Pre-fail  Always      -      0

12 Power_Cycle_Count      0x0032  100  100  020    Old_age  Always      -      55

If you are referring to the VALUE, rather than RAW VALUE, then it 12, and that does not seem right either.

That does indeed show 77,10 hours = almost 9 years.    This cannot, however, be correct for a 2TB drive, as they simply haven't been available that long.    Here's a 26 Jan 2009 article noting the arrival of the first 2TB drives:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/26/western-digitals-2tb-caviar-green-hdd-on-sale-in-australia/

So either the SMART data is incorrect or you're looking at a different drive than you think.    The largest drives that could be 9 years old would be 750GB drives.

The value of 12 is probably correct -- this decreases from 100 as the drive ages ... and 77170 hours is certainly a very old drive.

I suppose anything's possible, but I've never seen it on ANY disk ... Seagate, WD, Hitachi, Maxtor, Toshiba, Samsung, or any other drive I've ever had.

And note that the parameter is called "Power On Hours".

In addition, if it WAS in minutes, then it's showing less than 54 days of power-on time  :)

[77170 / 60 => 1286.17 hours ...  1286.17 /24 = 53.59 days]

I seriously doubt that's what it's showing.    I think you simply have an erroneous SMART counter.

From 'smartctl', the following option can be included (only shown are the settings relevant to PoH), to make life even more complicated, I have a couple of SSDs which count in days instead of hours):

-v   ID,FORMAT[:BYTEORDER][,NAME],   --vendorattribute=ID,FORMAT[:BYTE-
       ORDER][,NAME]
              [ATA only] Sets a vendor-specific raw  value  print  FORMAT,  an
              optional  BYTEORDER and an optional NAME for Attribute ID.  This
              option may be used multiple times.

The Attribute ID can be in the range 1 to 255. If 'N' is  speci-
              fied as ID, the settings for all Attributes are changed.

The  optional  BYTEORDER  consists of 1 to 8 characters from the
              set '012345rvwz'. The characters '0' to '5' select the byte 0 to
              5  from  the  48-bit raw value, 'r' selects the reserved byte of
              the attribute data block, 'v' selects the normalized value,  'w'
              selects  the  worst  value  and  'z'  inserts  a zero byte.  The
              default BYTEORDER is '543210' for all 48-bit formats,  'r543210'
              for  the  54-bit formats, and '543210wv' for the 64-bit formats.
              For  example,  '-v  5,raw48:012345'  prints  the  raw  value  of
              attribute 5 with big endian instead of little endian byte order-
              ing.

The NAME is a string of letters,  digits  and  underscore.   Its
              length should not exceed 23 characters.  The '-P showall' option
              reports an error if this is the case.

-v help - Prints (to STDOUT) a list of all  valid  arguments  to
              this option, then exits.

Valid arguments for FORMAT are:

min2hour  -  Raw Attribute is power-on time in minutes.  Its raw
              value will be displayed in the form "Xh+Ym".  Here X  is  hours,
              and  Y  is  minutes  in  the  range 0-59 inclusive.  Y is always
              printed with two digits, for example "06" or "31" or "00".

sec2hour - Raw Attribute is power-on time in seconds.   Its  raw
              value  will  be  displayed  in  the  form "Xh+Ym+Zs".  Here X is
              hours, Y is minutes in the range 0-59 inclusive, and Z  is  sec-
              onds  in  the  range 0-59 inclusive.  Y and Z are always printed
              with two digits, for example "06" or "31" or "00".

halfmin2hour - Raw Attribute is power-on time, measured in units
              of  30 seconds.  This format is used by some Samsung disks.  Its
              raw value will be displayed in the  form  "Xh+Ym".   Here  X  is
              hours,  and  Y  is  minutes  in  the range 0-59 inclusive.  Y is
              always printed with two digits, for  example  "06"  or  "31"  or
              "00".

msec24hour32 - Raw Attribute is power-on time measured in 32-bit
              hours and 24-bit milliseconds since last hour update.   It  will
              be  displayed  in  the form "Xh+Ym+Z.Ms".  Here X is hours, Y is
              minutes, Z is seconds and M is milliseconds.

• 6 years later...
On 12/20/2015 at 11:29 AM, garycase said:

s (anything in the past decade) are VERY inexpensive historically.    The first hard drive I bought for my home was a 26MB  (Yes, MB) Seagate that, after a 10% disc

I noticed that on some Seagate Barracuda drives, "power on hours" is reported X + 65536 hours but where a short self test will report X hours suggesting that the most significant bit is included as 1 for power on hours and 0 for self test power on hours, maybe 0x10000 is added to the power on hours, I have seen this happen on a few drives including ST3750640NS and ST3250310AS these are 750GB and 250GB drives