Marvell 88se61xx PCI-E x1 SATA card.

Kaygee

PCI-E x1 SATA card, 3x sata ports, 1 E-SATA port and an IDE port.

Looks like a 88SE6145 chipset which is what ICH9R uses I believe...

Seems to be a good way to use up an PCI-E x1 slot. Can pick up one of these for £20 or around $30. Its either that or a SIL3132.

Does anyone with a SIL3132 know if you can have one internal and one external port on one of the internal/external switchable cards?

For port multipliers stick to SIL chipsets seems to be the best advice? I know Marvell say they support port multipliers... not had any personal experience, anyone else had success with Marvell and a port multiplier?

If the 88SE6145 works with a PM that would give me a maximum of 8 sata ports (5 PM + 3 internal) on a X1 slot.  I know a SIL3132 can do 10 by using two PMs, I only have one working PM device currently though.

Does anyone with a SIL3132 know if you can have one internal and one external port on one of the internal/external switchable cards?

One the few that has been recommended, there are jumpers to enable an internal OR external port.  So the answer is Yes, if the card you select has jumpers.

I thought Marvel and Iintel where different manufactures. I could be wrong, I would love to see supporting documentation on this.

What I have read is that the ICH9R and ICH10R support port multipliers.

I'm not sure if linux support for them is mature.

For port multipliers stick to SIL chipsets seems to be the best advice? I know Marvell say they support port multipliers... not had any personal experience, anyone else had success with Marvell and a port multiplier?

Depends on the hardware chosen and drives chosen.

In my tests, the PM's that use the Steelvine SIL5744 & 5723 worked good. but this is only a 2 to 1 ratio.

I have a different marvel controller with a 5 port PM and there was some flakiness when older drives were on the bus.

With a SIL3124 controller, it was solid.

Where is this Marvel PCIe X1 SATA card?  I would like to check it out.

PCI-E x1 SATA card, 3x sata ports, 1 E-SATA port and an IDE port.

Seems to be a good way to use up an PCI-E x1 slot. Can pick up one of these for £20 or around $30. Its either that or a SIL3132.

If the 88SE6145 works with a PM that would give me a maximum of 8 sata ports (5 PM + 3 internal) on a X1 slot.  I know a SIL3132 can do 10 by using two PMs, I only have one working PM device currently though.

I use the Sabrent Model #SATA-PE2P which is a SI3132 card with 2 SATA II ports (1 internal & 1 external). Both work fine in unRAID.

Archived