BIOSTAR A760G M2+ passes Level 1

If you are emulating legacy IE drives, then they'll show up as /dev/hdX

Right, so using AHCI should make all drives appear as /dev/sdX, correct?  For some reason, I still have a few drives on my server that show up as hdX despite my using AHCI (and the rest of the BIOS settings detailed in the link above).

Try setting "SATA IDE Combined Mode" to Disabled in the BIOS, under Chipset menu, SouthBridge Configuration.  I had to do that on my board (Biostar TA790GXE 128M) to get SATA5 and SATA6 into AHCI mode.

• 3 months later...

I'm installing the A760G M2+ with an AM3 Sargas 140.  When it boots the cpu is reported as unknown.  

In bios setup it says it's AMIBIOS version: 08.00.14   Build date: 05/05/09.

I went to Biostar's product page to check for bios updates and there is one for the AMD Sargas 140.  I'd like to update the bios.  However, their bios updater runs in Windows.  Has anyone any idea how to update this without installing Windows first?   I also tried the F12-Bio-Updater thing that comes with this mobo but can't get it to find the new bios file.

Also, I noticed that the northbridge heat sink is between very warm and hot (more like hot) to the touch.  Is this normal for this mobo?

EDIT:  I managed to figure out the flashing issues.  The F12 Bio-Flasher wouldn't work with the very latest bios (A76GM714.BSS) but it did find and load (A76GM728.BSS) which has the AMD Sargas 140 support in it.

Immediately after flashing the bios my cpu was recognized.  Just copy the A76GM728.BSS bios file onto a thumb drive and press F12 when booting to flash the bios.

• 2 weeks later...

OK.  I'm fairly sure I still have a A706G laying around somewhere, and I've been planning on building a computer from all my spare parts anyway.  I'll fire it up and see what I get.  I don't use it as my server mobo anymore, I'm afraid.

Thanks for offering to help.  You contribute so much to this forum that I just want to you to know it's appreciated very much.

• 3 weeks later...

First post here!

I've been using unRAID (still on 4.4.2) on my A760G since August 2009 with great success.  I learned about this motherboard through this post over at SPCR.  I was attracted to it because it has 6 on-board sata headers, supports ECC, can accept a non-video card in the PCIe slot (as confirmed by Rajahal here), the onboard embedded GPU can be under-clocked, and it's cheap.

I though I'd mention the ECC support here since searching these forums revealed little (I see that user Vibe's signature notes that s/he is using ECC with their A760g).

So, just as FYI, on top of all the other awesomeness about this little motherboard, it *does* support ECC memory.  There is some controversy regarding this, as Biostar "customer support" denies ECC support.  But it's in the manual & BIOS, and is confirmed by memtest & the linux edac-util.

eccmemtest.th.jpg eccbios2.th.jpg

I do not frequent the lime-technology forum, and was pleasantly surprised to see how popular this motherboard was!  It's been completely rock solid for me since day 1.  I was also pleasantly surprised to see how closely my own buildmatches the unRAID forum's "budget build".

Motherboard: Biostar A760G-M2+

CPU: AMD 4050e

RAM: Kingston 2x1GB DDR2-533 ECC

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-400CX

HDD's: Western Digital WD10EADS x3

Case: Coolermaster Centurion 590

Power consumption measured w/ Kill-a-watt:

• Startup Peak: 88 W
  • Idle, all drives spun up: 48 W
  • Idle, all drives spun down: 39 W
  • Parity Check: 69 W

In my DIY rack (the CM590 case is 17.5" tall, so it fits perfectly in a standard 19" rack enclosure on its side):

dsc0150resized.th.jpg

• 3 months later...

I coupled the Biostar board with this CPU:

AMD Sempron 140 Sargas 2.7GHz 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 45W Single-Core Processor

At first I wasn't sure if the board could handle an AM3 CPU (since its only supposed to work with AM2+/AM2), but it booted up the first time with no problems.  I'm glad, since the 45W CPU should save me a bit of power usage.

You did not update the bios for the support of the Sempron 140 Sargas?

I am thinking of getting this mobo and the 140...... sounds sweet. 

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/bios.php?S_ID=394#

Maybe you already had the latest?

;

I cant get this motherboard to boot from USB.  Following this

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hardware_Compatibility#First_Time_Configuration

On the Advanced tab

Choose 'USB Configuration'

Choose 'USB Mass Storage Device Configuration'

Set the Emulation Type to Hard Disk

and the option for USB Mass Storage Device Config is not on this page.

Any ideas? 

AMIBIOS ver 08.00.14 build date 09/11/09

;

http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php?title=Hardware_Compatibility#First_Time_Configuration

On the Advanced tab

Any ideas? 

UPDATE:

Originally I couldn’t find the USB Mass Storage Device Config when I had my Tuff and Tiny Verbatim USB plugged in.  I swapped that out with a Sandisk Cruezer and now the USB Config shows up but I still can’t get the MOBO to boot from USB.

Any thoughts as to what options that may not be accurate in the guide above, or why the Tough and Tiny isn’t even recognized??

THANKS!!!

;

On the Advanced tab

Any ideas? 

UPDATE:

Originally I couldn’t find the USB Mass Storage Device Config when I had my Tuff and Tiny Verbatim USB plugged in.  I swapped that out with a Sandisk Cruezer and now the USB Config shows up but I still can’t get the MOBO to boot from USB.

Any thoughts as to what options that may not be accurate in the guide above, or why the Tough and Tiny isn’t even recognized??

THANKS!!!

Since you've set it to emulate a hard disk it will probably show up as a hard disk and you'll have to select it as the boot disk.