Why is there no need to pass through the video card

smakovits

Why is there no need to pass through the video card by adding it to the append line?

Seems only logical no?  That all hardware to passthrough be in the list.  I mean if am to not see hardware other than a video card once it is passed, I would assume the same for video.  But I could be wrong and there is a really great reason for it.

I think the question was why we don't stub the GPUs in the append line like we need to for things like Ethernet controllers and other devices.  The answer is because we don't load any GPU drivers with our kernel, so the devices don't have any driver bound to them at boot anyway.  You can feel free to add them to the stub list, and perhaps there is a reason to do so, but so far, I haven't had anyone complain that it didn't work without stubbing, so I think it's ok.

I think the question was why we don't stub the GPUs in the append line like we need to for things like Ethernet controllers and other devices.  The answer is because we don't load any GPU drivers with our kernel, so the devices don't have any driver bound to them at boot anyway.  You can feel free to add them to the stub list, and perhaps there is a reason to do so, but so far, I haven't had anyone complain that it didn't work without stubbing, so I think it's ok.

I guess this makes perfect sense then.  Thanks.

I do see it as a passed device, etc, so I know it is working, but in trying to troubleshoot an issue with Kodi, it was something that I wanted to check and confirm.  I assume the same holds true then for the Audio card as well.  In this case, the audio card also being the GPU.

I guess this makes perfect sense then.  Thanks.

I do see it as a passed device, etc, so I know it is working, but in trying to troubleshoot an issue with Kodi, it was something that I wanted to check and confirm.  I assume the same holds true then for the Audio card as well.  In this case, the audio card also being the GPU.

Correct.

Archived