[SOLVED] Help Cloning Existing Cache Drive to (Replacement) SSD

jimbohead

Hi All,

I have read through several threads on this here, but need a little more help. I have an existing 2.5 SATA HDD as my cache drive and just want to clone it to a brand new SSD. So far, I have..

-turned off docker and disabled autostart on all plugins

-physically removed the cache drive and replaced it with the new SSD

-formatted the new SSD as XFS (starting array, formatting then stopping array)

-re-connected old cache drive via USB-SATA adapter

-mounted both the old cache drive and new SSD using unassigned devices plugin

here's where I'm stuck..

-I tried running Midnight Commander (directly from console) as many here have recommended, but cant for the life of me figure out how to do a simple cloning of the old drive to the new.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much in advance!

Thanks for the quick reply, trurl!

Unfortunately, this GUI isn't as straightforward as I thought. the /mnt folder doesn't have a cache folder (only shows /disks with the /Samsung_~M-part1 and /_part1 (both look to be empty))

Is there no easy command to just clone drive a to drive b?

If I start the array and run MC, I see the old cache drive but it is unreadable. (File format I should mention is EXT4 for the old cache drive)

EXT4 has never been a supported format for cache drives. unRAID only supports ReiserFS, XFS, btrfs for cache or any array drive. I'm not sure whether unassigned devices supports that or not. Was it actually working as a cache drive for you?

Yep it was working just fine. I think I finally figured it out. Once I started the array, the old cache drive had a part1 folder that contained all the files in the root. Transfer is in progress now (probably should have just installed both drives internally vs mounting the original one externally with the adapter). Will report back in about an hour (the ETA it shows for 22GB file transfer).

Thanks again, trurl!

Archived