HOW-TO: AFP announced over Avahi *READY*

dlmh

Hello from a new UNraid user.

I have been trying to get this to work for over a week now.

Followed your steps to the letter. Both shares show up. AFP and SMB.

Can connect top SMB, but to AFP I get a login failed. Tried with a whole list of users. None of them are working.

What am i missing?

I am using UNraid 4.5.3 with netatalk 2.05

I'm in the same boat here... I feel as though there are some steps missing..

It would be great to see the exact file structure.

I've learned how to use Telnet, haven't done that since the 80s' I think.

Also learned a some Linux/Unix.

When I try to use vi over Telnet I get command not found.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello from a new UNraid user.

I have been trying to get this to work for over a week now.

Followed your steps to the letter. Both shares show up. AFP and SMB.

Can connect top SMB, but to AFP I get a login failed. Tried with a whole list of users. None of them are working.

What am i missing?

I am using UNraid 4.5.3 with netatalk 2.05

I'm in the same boat here... I feel as though there are some steps missing..

It would be great to see the exact file structure.

I've learned how to use Telnet, haven't done that since the 80s' I think.

Also learned a some Linux/Unix.

When I try to use vi over Telnet I get command not found.

Telnet should work, I used SSH. You could always try and do this on the server directly.

I don't think there are any steps missing, I've been quite thorough since I was in the same boat as you guys. As you can see there's plenty of people who got it working.

Telnet should work, I used SSH. You could always try and do this on the server directly.

I don't think there are any steps missing, I've been quite thorough since I was in the same boat as you guys. As you can see there's plenty of people who got it working.

Would it make a difference that I'm running the free version right now?

Would it make a difference that I'm running the free version right now?

ouch. You just made a point there. Never, ever do the editing of linux files on windows machines. As a very technical windows user I feel a bit humble now...  :-\

By the way.

It works! Just do the editing on unix or mac

Ok, the missing link was. vi in unRaid doesn't work over Telnet, at least not on any of my Macs running systems 10.4.8 - 10.6.2. I had to connect a monitor to unRaid to use vi.

Also I don't think I can get it fully functioning with the free version since I can't create users. I'm waiting on a couple reliable flash drives.

Am I correct in that?

The tower did show up in the side bar by it self on Leopard but not Tiger or Snow Leopard.

ouch. You just made a point there. Never, ever do the editing of linux files on windows machines. As a very technical windows user I feel a bit humble now...  :-\

By the way.

Great! You got it working? Or just the editing?

Ok, the missing link was. vi in unRaid doesn't work over Telnet, at least not on any of my Macs running systems 10.4.8 - 10.6.2. I had to connect a monitor to unRaid to use vi.

Also I don't think I can get it fully functioning with the free version since I can't create users. I'm waiting on a couple reliable flash drives.

Am I correct in that?

The tower did show up in the side bar by it self on Leopard but not Tiger or Snow Leopard.

Really? You cannot add users with the free version? How do you connect to Samba shares then?

Really? You cannot add users with the free version? How do you connect to Samba shares then?

Not only user shares are exported (paid version)

Disk shares are still exported (free version)

But you can only connect as Guest, not as a full user?

Ok. I see what you mean. With AFP you can mirror your mac users on the unRAID unix users.

While most (?) people using samba without user shares simply have a guest with rw access or have a

smb-extra.conf file to give finer control.

Ok. I see what you mean. With AFP you can mirror your mac users on the unRAID unix users.

While most (?) people using samba without user shares simply have a guest with rw access or have a

smb-extra.conf file to give finer control.

You can connect with whatever user you like, but I indeed mirrored my OSX user list to unRAID for convenience sake. You can enable Guest access through AFP (user 'nobody'), but you'll have to chmod and chown your files/folders to allow the guest to access them. This is a big security risk.

There are, however, terminal commands to add users (

useradd

or

adduser

), so if you're not able to do this through the unRAID web interface, there's always that possibility.

I just connect with Command+k - smb://Tower (or IP). I can't get the tower to show but I can select individual drives, folders and the flash as separate items. Still haven't got afp to work. I'm still getting stuck at the login dialog probably since I don't have a user set up. I could never select guest since it was disabled an all my systems. The only system that Tower should was Leopard.

I looked at the useradd function but wasn't sure what parameters to set and what to set in them (fear of making a mess). I didn't think it would help with the free version anyway.

useradd [-c comment] [-d home_dir] [-e expire_date] [-f inactive_time] [-g initial_group] [-G group[,...]] [-m [-k skeleton_dir]] [-p passwd] [-s shell] [-u uid [ -o]] login

useradd -D [-g default_group] [-b default_home] [-f default_inactive] [-e default_expire_date] [-s default_shell]

I just connect with Command+k - smb://Tower (or IP). I can't get the tower to show but I can select individual drives, folders and the flash as separate items. Still haven't got afp to work. I'm still getting stuck at the login dialog probably since I don't have a user set up. I could never select guest since it was disabled an all my systems. The only system that Tower should was Leopard.

I looked at the useradd function but wasn't sure what parameters to set and what to set in them (fear of making a mess). I didn't think it would help with the free version anyway.

useradd [-c comment] [-d home_dir] [-e expire_date] [-f inactive_time] [-g initial_group] [-G group[,...]] [-m [-k skeleton_dir]] [-p passwd] [-s shell] [-u uid [ -o]] login

useradd -D [-g default_group] [-b default_home] [-f default_inactive] [-e default_expire_date] [-s default_shell]

Just type

useradd russ

and a new entry will be created for you in the

/etc/passwd

file.

ouch. You just made a point there. Never, ever do the editing of linux files on windows machines. As a very technical windows user I feel a bit humble now...  :-\

By the way.

Great! You got it working? Or just the editing?

Everything works as advertised!  I did a testbuild in vmware fusion before doing a physical build 8)

Just type

useradd russ

/etc/passwd

file.

Success! Finally. Got it working. Thanks for the help.

Here's what I found vs samba.. I'm using the unraid for my PVR/HTPC recording 2 1080p channels while watching 3rd at times. Using just samba when I would skip ahead during play back the video would lag quite a bit behind the audio until it caught up but now it is nearly instantaneous. So it was worth the effort even if I did kill a few brain cells.

Just type

useradd russ

/etc/passwd

file.

Success! Finally. Got it working. Thanks for the help.

Here's what I found vs samba.. I'm using the unraid for my PVR/HTPC recording 2 1080p channels while watching 3rd at times. Using just samba when I would skip ahead during play back the video would lag quite a bit behind the audio until it caught up but now it is nearly instantaneous. So it was worth the effort even if I did kill a few brain cells.

That sounds like a great improvement! Is the PVR software running on OSX, or does it support (natively) AFP? Samba should/could be as fast as AFP when running Linux/Windows, it's just that OSX implements an ancient version of the Samba service.

How did you solve your problem, btw? Was it the

useradd

? (maybe useful information for others...)

That sounds like a great improvement! Is the PVR software running on OSX, or does it support (natively) AFP? Samba should/could be as fast as AFP when running Linux/Windows, it's just that OSX implements an ancient version of the Samba service.

Yes the PVR is a new Mac Mini running OS 10.6.2 + EyeTV software with a network tuner (HDHomerun). With Samba to copy a 7 GB file from a USB drive to and unRaid drive took 13 minutes, with AFP  the same file took 3 minutes. I guess Samba improvements are not a high priority for Apple.

How did you solve your problem, btw? Was it the
useradd

? (maybe useful information for others...)

First of all I was trying to use vi  in telnet which wasn't working so I tried to copy from the "How to" and paste into Textedit which would have worked for the newly created files had I not been so confused at that point. By that time I tried a bunch of things that just got me more frustrated, so I had to get past that.

So the first step was  hooking a monitor to the Tower which worked.

Secondly I also had to learned how to use the

useradd

command. I also had to use the

passwd

command to set the password after

useradd

. I'm not sure if this was just because I was using the free version or not.

Third I had to,

cp

, copy those changed files, passwd and shadow, back to /boot/ to keep from losing them on reboot then I could open them in Textedit on my Mac from the flash, make the changes and copy them back to the flash to the proper folders.

The thing that got me confused is that the instructions were based on the final directory structure for the files but they are actually stored in the /boot/config/ area and copied to the final destination when the system is booted.  I know somewhere you had mentioned putting them in a permanent place.

I had to get a concept of where everything was and what wasn't permanent on reboot. I spent some time just CDing and LSing around to get a sense where thing were and learning some linux. I hadn't played with Linux/Unix for probably 35 years except for the rare command in the Mac terminal.

In my mind I have to know how things work for it all to make sense. So I guess for the Nubee to unRaid and Linux there should be, maybe there is, a basic, simplified "this is how unRaid works" and a few basic Linux commands and how to to get around.

I guess Samba improvements are not a high priority for Apple.

I know, this is really ignorant of Apple, it hampers full integration in an existing Windows network.

First of all I was trying to use vi  in telnet which wasn't working so I tried to copy from the "How to" and paste into Textedit which would have worked for the newly created files had I not been so confused at that point. By that time I tried a bunch of things that just got me more frustrated, so I had to get past that.

So the first step was  hooking a monitor to the Tower which worked.

Yeah, using TextEdit/TextMate is much easier. I found using

vi

to be really frustrating and cumbersome, but it got the job done...

Secondly I also had to learned how to use the

useradd

command. I also had to use the

passwd

command to set the password after

useradd

. I'm not sure if this was just because I was using the free version or not.

No, you're right. This is just the way user management is done on Linux.

useradd

only creates the user, you'll have to use

passwd [user]

to create the entry in

/etc/passwd

. Because the free edition won't allow you to do this in the WebGUI, it'll require you to repeat these steps for every user you want to have access through AFP.

Third I had to,

cp

, copy those changed files, passwd and shadow, back to /boot/ to keep from losing them on reboot then I could open them in Textedit on my Mac from the flash, make the changes and copy them back to the flash to the proper folders.

The thing that got me confused is that the instructions were based on the final directory structure for the files but they are actually stored in the /boot/config/ area and copied to the final destination when the system is booted.  I know somewhere you had mentioned putting them in a permanent place.

I had to get a concept of where everything was and what wasn't permanent on reboot. I spent some time just CDing and LSing around to get a sense where thing were and learning some linux. I hadn't played with Linux/Unix for probably 35 years except for the rare command in the Mac terminal.

In my mind I have to know how things work for it all to make sense. So I guess for the Nubee to unRaid and Linux there should be, maybe there is, a basic, simplified "this is how unRaid works" and a few basic Linux commands and how to to get around.

I explained a lot of these things in the Samba/Avahi tutorial and didn't repeat this in the AFP/Avahi tutorial, so I understand your confusion.

The HOW-TO

chown -R david:users /mnt/disk1

In the above command can multiple users be added be added with a comma such as:

chown -R david,russ:users /mnt/disk1

Nope... the filesystem will only allow a file to have one (1) owner and one (1) group.

The HOW-TO

Nope... the filesystem will only allow a file to have one (1) owner and one (1) group.

So I'm guessing that as long as the users are members of the same group they will have access to the disk/files..

The HOW-TO

So I'm guessing that as long as the users are members of the same group they will have access to the disk/files..

Yes, that's what the permissions are for ;)

Archived