Mount share as windows hard drive

itschrisonline

I've had loads of problems with this too, a number of games still won't allow it even with a mapped drive.  I even tried using a symlink as others had suggested on the interweb, but that still wouldn't work.

Minecraft for one I could not get to install no matter what I tried.  I eventually pointed the installer to the c: drive and later copied everything to my mapped network drive.  Luckily that seems to work.

Origin wouldn't install anything on a mapped drive either, but Steam was OK.

There is also the issue that windows doesn't like reconnecting the mapped drives at first boot up of the VM.  So anything installed on that drive, the shortcuts don't appear.  You have to double click on the mapped drive to make it connect.

Would be better if we had some way of treating an array drive as local, but ultimately these seems to be windows issues rather than unraid.

One thing i did was created a vdisk within the windows disk manager. Put the image on a network share and mount it. Windows sees it as a normal hard drive but it is running off the network.

You can also mount and dismount it as needed so it isn't always accessing the network share

This is how i run all my games on Origin and Uplay, neither of which would use a network drive or my symlinks

Regards,

Jamie

Archived