Is unRAID what I want?

SM411

Hi,

I watched Linus Tech tips videos of running full powered virtual machines of one CPU. That got me thinking that maby I also could get benefit from this, though not two people gaming on one computer.

I currently run Windows 10 as my main OS for gaming and school work. I also run some game-servers and a mumble (VOIP) server on the same computer. Running servers at same computer as gaming is not ideal, so I though maby I should run both Windows for gaming/school and Linux for servers. What kind of hardware will that require. Linus had separate GPU for each system, and If I recall correctly also separate harddrive. I am able to run and maintain server through SSH, so I think I will not need these separate hardware (maby a sdd).

Is this even possible, and is unRAID the best soultion for this problem?

Well unraid makes getting started with virtualization pretty easy so depending what hardware you have then it could be a good way to get started. 

You will definitely need a dedicated GPU for anything you want to connect a physical monitor to or for gaming,  for linux servers you don't need a GPU as you could just connect using a remote desktop or via command line.

You might also want to look at vmware's free hypervisor as that is also well documented and fairly easy to use with the right hardware.

Archived