We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

vdisk drive

smakovits

currently my cache drive is a raptor 150GB drive, it is fine, other than it is a little small.  Not really, but when you start putting a few vms, it fills quickly and when it does, docker containers break as they cannot access their config disks.

I have a 160GB SSD, but on the space side this gains me little.  I also have a 7200 RPM 500GB drive.  This helps the space issue, but could impact performance.

So, I have 2 questions.

1. Can I get away with a 7200 RPM drive for cache and vdisks if I am not doing much more than running Kodi and maybe a few simple apps.

2. Is there a way to add the SSD as a disk that is not technically in the array? I do not believe I can add it as a second cache drive.

My only other thought was adding it to the array, but dont allow any shares to use it but vdisks, but I think that will be negatively impacted because the parity the system will try to perform.

1. Can I get away with a 7200 RPM drive for cache and vdisks if I am not doing much more than running Kodi and maybe a few simple apps.

Not sure what kind of VMs you are running.  If they are just servers, then you should be fine, but if you are using GPU pass through to create a VM that acts as a local desktop, I wouldn't use anything but SSD storage for that.

2. Is there a way to add the SSD as a disk that is not technically in the array? I do not believe I can add it as a second cache drive.

Look up the unassigned devices plugin.  It can probably help you for what you want to do.

Archived