Array won't mount

ashman70

So I seem to be having some kind of problem where my array won't mount.

I changed CPU's tonight, going from a i7 3770k to a non k and I plugged an SSD into 8 port Super Micro SATA card, but it didn't like that.

I started the array in maintenance mode and it began a parity check but it was quite slow no more than 31MB/s so I stopped it.

I did a new config, added the SSD as a cache drive and added all my disks and tried to start the array but it just got stuck 'mounting disks' and the console was frozen. I am attaching a diagnostic file. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

AM

backup_tower-diagnostics-20160113-2258.zip

So I seem to be having some kind of problem where my array won't mount.

I changed CPU's tonight, going from a i7 3770k to a non k and I plugged an SSD into 8 port Super Micro SATA card, but it didn't like that.

I started the array in maintenance mode and it began a parity check but it was quite slow no more than 31MB/s so I stopped it.

I did a new config, added the SSD as a cache drive and added all my disks and tried to start the array but it just got stuck 'mounting disks' and the console was frozen. I am attaching a diagnostic file. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

AM

Every time you open the server and disturb drive cabling, you run the risk of knocking something loose. I expect this is what has happened. I would double check each of you SATA and power connections, and splitters (if any) and try again.

Although couldn't be avoided with a CPU change, I wholeheartedly recommend 5in3s or similar which allow drives to be added or swapped with ease, without disturbing cabling. Cuts way back on this type of thing!

Do you think a cable inspection is necessary if all devices are showing up anyway? I will double check, something is causing the freezing when I try to mount the array.

What does it indicate if I can start a parity check in maintenance mode but not in normal mode?

A loose cable to wreck all sorts of havoc. I'd check the connections as the first step.

I know its a dumb question did you make sure you put paste on your processor and the fan is connected? Ive had things over heat super fast and stop in its tracks quick as heck.

I don't think the server crashed or powered down, which it would do if the CPU fan were failing.

Ok so I narrowed it down to the recent purchase and addition of a Super Micro SAT2-MV8 eight port SATA card I had been using in this system, up until today it had been working fine, although I did notice tonight that it was giving off an amber colour and I cannot recall if I had noticed that before. Removing the card from my system and adding back a four port SATA card I had been using previous (iOCrest) and I am back up running a parity check as I write this.

Any ideas what could be wrong with the Super Micro card?

Also, why is the parity check going so slowly, its only going at 4.5MB/s and says it will take 7 days??

So this morning I came down and found that I could not connect to the GUI, tried pinging the server it replied a few times with horrible latency and then stopped responding to pings altogether so I had to hard cycle it. Not sure what is going on with this machine.

Can anyone lend a hand?

AM

Archived