telnet: cannot login with local user, but can with root?

local.bin

Hi

I have been struggling for a while trying to solve my problem and I could do with some help please.

I am trying to login to my second unraid with my local user and I get thrown out each time on telnet.

I am on v6.1.6 and have added the user via the gui, including a password and can connect to shares using that username and password.

If I try to login via telnet I get;

Linux 4.1.13-unRAID.

1 failure since last login.

Last was Fri Jan 15 12:21:08 2016 on /dev/pts/0.

Connection closed by foreign host.

syslog.txt

Thanks @itimpi, is that a v6 thing, as I can log on to my v5 setup no problems with the local user via telnet?

The use of users should not gave changed for v6, but maybe something has.  As far as I can tell, I cannot log in to my own system with a non-root user.  I do not remember ever trying it with v5. 

The users are set up in the Linux /etc/passwd file, but they have the 'shell' set to /bin/false which will be what is making the login fail. Perhaps this was done as part of tightening up security - I guess we would need LimeTech feedback to know for sure.

Ok thanks. Maybe @Limetech will see it to comment, as it seems odd we cannot run beets etc as a normal user rather than root?

I guess the question is why would you want to log directly into the unRAID server as any user other than root?  Normally a direct login is only used for advanced system administration that cannot be done via the GUI.

Archived