Converting User Share Split Level - Split Shares?

I currently have a "Videos" share that has a split level of 2.  Inside that share I have the following two folders (as well as a few others):  Movies, TV Shows.  The original reason I did this was so that I could map a single share in Windows (Videos) and easily access every folder within.

Now with the split level being 2 this keeps all my movie folder files together on the same disk.  However the consequence of this it that it also puts an entire TV show (including ever season) on the same disk as well.  This to me is a problem for 2 reasons:

1.  Disks gets filled up disproportionately because new seasons will get added to a disk that is the most full or nearly full.

2.  If I were to lose a disk I would lose entire series' instead of just a 1-2 seasons

So the question is, should I create new shares (TV Shows & Movies) using different split levels and if so what's the best way to move all my current data to be spread evenly amongs my disks?

Create shares Movies, TV Shows. Configure each share Split level, etc. If you want them spread evenly you would set Allocation method to Most-free.

With mc (Midnight Commander) move from /mnt/user/Videos/Movies to /mnt/user/Movies and from /mnt/user/Videos/TV Shows to /mnt/user/TV Shows. The share settings will take care of the rest.

Create shares Movies, TV Shows. Configure each share Split level, etc. If you want them spread evenly you would set Allocation method to Most-free.

With mc (Midnight Commander) move from /mnt/user/Videos/Movies to /mnt/user/Movies and from /mnt/user/Videos/TV Shows to /mnt/user/TV Shows. The share settings will take care of the rest.

That's what I was envisioning, thanks for that.

Is there anyway to map in Windows the entire UnRAID server as opposed to each individual share?  Like I can browse to my server by going to \\UNRAID which displays all my user and disk shares but I can't map UNRAID as a drive, only individual shares.

Is there anyway to map in Windows the entire UnRAID server as opposed to each individual share?  Like I can browse to my server by going to \\UNRAID which displays all my user and disk shares but I can't map UNRAID as a drive, only individual shares.

Why do you want to map drives anyway? I always just use UNC paths. Mapped drives are a security risk.

To answer your question you might be able to do something with smb-extra.conf but I will let you research that.

Why do you want to map drives anyway? I always just use UNC paths. Mapped drives are a security risk.

To answer your question you might be able to do something with smb-extra.conf but I will let you research that.

I have a batch script that runs when I login to my windows profile.  I realize using mapped drives is less secure but it's a lot more convenient then having to manually type in UNC paths every time.

I created the batch file a while ago though so maybe it's time I update things.  I can just create a shortcut to UNRAID on my desktop and get rid of the mapped drives.

I have a batch script that runs when I login to my windows profile.  I realize using mapped drives is less secure but it's a lot more convenient then having to manually type in UNC paths every time.

Not sure I follow. Does this batch script prompt you for a drive letter? If so, you could still do that but instead of just using the drive letter in the script to access the share, use the drive letter in the script to choose which UNC path to use to access the share. Or you could use an environment variable to make the letter that refers to the drive refer instead to a UNC path and use the environment variable in the batch script. Maybe some other ideas depending on the details.

It's a very basic net share batch file.  So it just looks like the following for each share:

net use /del V:

net use V: \\UNRAID\Videos

OK, I see. So all the script is doing is mapping drives for you. That doesn't really explain why you need mapped drives in the first place. Do you have some applications that can't browse the network?

It's a very basic net share batch file.  So it just looks like the following for each share:

net use /del V:

net use V: \\UNRAID\Videos

OK, I see. So all the script is doing is mapping drives for you. That doesn't really explain why you need mapped drives in the first place. Do you have some applications that can't browse the network?

I don't need mapped drives, it's just a convenience thing because I browse to my shares multiple times a day.