Weird new drive issue

Fuggin

I bought a 4TB NAS drive to replace an old drive. When I installed it, it showed up faulty right away in the main drive list. I don't know if that was from the previous drive. I figured it wasn't connected fully, so I pulled it out of the slot and pushed it back in. Still showed faulty.

Short Smart test passed.

I went to preclear it using the preclear plugin, the dialog box wouldn't pull up any information on the drive yet in the unassigned drive section, it shows the drive brand, model, serial number. I went ahead to preclear it (almost done).

I don't have any logs right at this moment, but I don't want to rebuild yet until I understand what it is happening. I will update with logs later today.

Any ideas in the meantime?

Thanks!

What do you mean exactly when you say

... it showed up faulty right away in the main drive list...

Did it have a red X (meaning disabled), or was it something else, such as a thumbs down on the Dashboard?

Dashboard shows thumb up but there is still an orange triangle in the faulty section. It passed the preclear and has been rebuilding. It's at 54% and disk 4 shows no data on the drive. I canceled it.

Logs attached.

tower-diagnostics-20160213-1503.zip

Did it have a red X (meaning disabled), or was it something else, such as a thumbs down on the Dashboard?

Dashboard shows thumb up but there is still an orange triangle in the faulty section. It passed the preclear and has been rebuilding. It's at 54% and disk 4 shows no data on the drive. I canceled it.

Logs attached.

So is disk4 the drive in question? I hope you didn't format it. Did you?

Logs attached.

So is disk4 the drive in question? I hope you didn't format it. Did you?

Yes. Disk 4. I only pre cleared it upon install and tried rebuilding it. Every time I rebuild, it doesn't show any accumulation of data on the drive during the rebuild. Is this normal for xfs? My drives were reiserfs before.

When it was first installed (and after reseating it) it showed a orange triangle in the faulty. Now it is a Red X (drive missing, contents emulated) only because it is unmounted for the preclear.

If you mean an orange triangle in main view, this is normal, only after the rebuild is complete chenges to green.

Why doesn't it show data accumulating on the drive during rebuild then?

Why doesn't it show data accumulating on the drive during rebuild then?

That’s a different issue, all data should appear when rebuild begins.

Did it appear when it was showing red x (emulated disk)?

Exactly what steps did you do to begin rebuilding?

Yes. Previous drive failed due to old age.

All I did was remove old drive, pre clear new drive, start rebuild process.

Ok. I just realized something and I am a dumba$$. I had managed to move all the data off the old drive before I replaced it so it's not going to have data on the new drive.

Wow. What a brainfart on my part.

Just for clarity the way unRAID works when a drive is marked with a red 'x' it will show what files should be on the drive by 'emulating' it using the other drives plus the parity drive.  When you start rebuilding then there is no change in the files shown as unRAID still knows which bits of the drive need emulating and which bits have real data, but the icon will be the yellow triangle.  When the rebuild completes the icon changes to the green one indicating a good drive.  At no time during this process does the list of files appear to change.

Since you say the drive was empty in your case then it appears everything was functioning exactly as expected :)