Windows VM Noob questions

Slimer

OK, I'm upgrading my UnRaid Box, as it's showing it's age and I want to consolidate my Windows video server into one box. I'm collecting the hardware after a bit of reading to make sure it will handle the CPU load, -Vi support and lots of PCI slots. There is still a ton I don't even realize I don't know, so be gentle below.  ;D

I'm planning to pass-through a sata card for my Windows VM, which will have my CD Rom, OS SSD and maybe a data drive. I gather I can pass-through the entire card rather than each individual device? I'll likely just use VNC for the GPU Radeon R7), as I don't plan on doing anything to strenuous with the GPU. Although I'm a little unclear about when I setup the pass through for the sata card; I gather I have to do it after the OS install, but I'll get nagged about reactivating? The USB pass through is likely something I'll also do.

If my Windows install sits on it's own disk, how do I backup and recover in the event of a crash? Run some image software on the Windows side? I can't see rsync working, as it would not capture the boot structure.

Also using a Public NIC looks much more flexible than the Private NIC? Which did you use?

Thanks

Ok.

You dont need to passthrough a sata card for what you want to do. You use a virtual disk as the harddrive.

You can use an ssd as an unassigned device in unraid, then create your vdisk on that (of whatever size you want, or multiple vdisks if you want more than 1)

However you dont use a cache drive why not use the ssd as cache drive and create the vdisk on the cache. That way you will get a bit more bang for buck on the ssd as it will serve 2 purposes.

You can use a virtual cd for disk images. If you dont want to do that i would just use a usb cd drive and pass that through.

To backup. What i do is have my os on a 40 gig vdisk and my game data on a 500 gig vdisk.

I backup the 40 gig vdisk just by copying and pasting it onto my main array now and then. Then if i need to i could just replace the os vdisk with my backup and get system up.

best of luck :)

Ok.

You dont need to passthrough a sata card for what you want to do. You use a virtual disk as the harddrive.

You can use an ssd as an unassigned device in unraid, then create your vdisk on that (of whatever size you want, or multiple vdisks if you want more than 1)

However you dont use a cache drive why not use the ssd as cache drive and create the vdisk on the cache. That way you will get a bit more bang for buck on the ssd as it will serve 2 purposes.

You can use a virtual cd for disk images. If you dont want to do that i would just use a usb cd drive and pass that through.

Sounds good, but how much of a speed hit are you taking using a vdisk over a passthrough drive? I was thinking about a Cache Pool anyway, so that might be a good option. I'll definitely be passing a CD through though, but it won't be USB.

Thanks for the feedback, saves me quite a bit of effort.