User shares... am I missing something?

jakev

Hello... I had tried messing with user shares a while back, and had the same issue. Since it was for my home, I didn't care (nobody else accesses files).

Well, now I'm setting up a different box on a network with multiple people (domain) and am wondering if I'm crazy, or if something isn't working right.

When I added my first share, "backup", it went fine... or so it seemed. The Backup share is visible to my server... but the allocation method changed from what I assigned it (I had put "most free") to the default "high water". I can't seem to make any changes... no matter what they are. I tried to add/change valid users, allocation method, comments... hit the apply button, and it's back to where it started.  >:(

So I think... hey, I'll just delete it and start again. Nope... can't see any way to remove/delete the share in order to try again.  ???

Using 4.4.2, Accessing from Win2k8 server (but that shouldn't matter...everything seems to be working fine other than share page).

Should I be seeing this behavior, or is something wrong here?

Not sure I have the whole answer, but here's a couple of things to check.  Make sure that your unRAID flash drive is not write protected, the settings are saved there.  Your syslog should show whether the flash drive was able to be setup as read/write.

Also, some of those settings do not 'take' until after a reboot.  The whole User Share file system is rebuilt after each reboot.

...Make sure that your unRAID flash drive is not write protected, the settings are saved there.  Your syslog should show whether the flash drive was able to be setup as read/write.

Yes, please post your system log.

Also, some of those settings do not 'take' until after a reboot.

That's not true for any user share settings.  When you click 'Apply' changes take effect immediately.

The whole User Share file system is rebuilt after each reboot.

This was true with the very first user share file system way back in release 3.x(?); but is no longer the case.

Thank you,

I'm not sure what the issue was... but restarting the unraid box seems to have fixed it. When I restarted it, the old share was gone, and when I re-added it, it allowed me to actually make changes to the settings!

I didn't try that before due to being in the middle of a parity check, and of course didn't want to throw hours away restarting that.

Archived