Supermicro X10SL7-F, Xeon E3-1231v3, wont post with more than 16g mem installed

Hi all

Anyone help me with an odd issue please.

Updated my system this evening to the following;

Supermicro X10SL7-F, Xeon E3-1231v3, 32g (4xCT2KIT102472BD160B)

With slot 1+2 populated with the 8g crucuals then everything boots fine and looks well.

When I add to slots 3+4 with the additional crucials I get 4 beeps and it stops at 55 on boot :(

Never had a supermicro before so going to sleep on it and try again in the morning, unless someone can show me the error of my ways please :)

I have swapped the crucual modules and they all boot when slots 1+2 are populated but same error 55 when any of the crucuals go in slots 3+4.

Bios is at v3

Thanks in advance

I'm fairly new to this as well but while I have been reading a lot I have seen several people mention that Supermicro boards are very picky about RAM.

The RAM you are using is not on the tested list

http://www.supermicro.com/support/resources/mem_exclude_DDR3_135V_135V.cfm

that doesn't mean it won't work only that it isn't on the tested list. Given how picky people claim these boards are it might be worth trying the RAM from the list.

I have had plenty of desktops that were supposed to take X amount of RAM fail to post with certain types of RAM and then work fine with other brands.

"We found in our testing that X10 Supermicro boards require the first two slots to be populated with Hynix A DRAM modules (slots A1 /B1) then any other type DRAM can be inserted into the remaining two slots. When installing just two 8GB modules any DRAM type is acceptable. We do not currently manufacture Hynix A DRAM modules due to lack of available components. Currently we can only support the X10SL7 with 4GB modules."

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/fyi-kingston-no-longer-listing-8gb-modules-for-most-supermicro-x10-motherboards.18773/page-2

Thanks both.

I have amazon delivering me another board tomorrow as the memory replacement did not work.

There are a couple of working servers using this same setup, so although the memory is not on the list, it appears to work;

https://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=37567.0

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/qbJV3C#cx1432701

I appreciate 2 are not exactly conclusive, but the memory also appears on amazon as 'often' bought with this board. Again not conclusive but odd.

It also shows up as micron memory when I do a memory test; which concludes fine with 2 slots taken.

Will see how the board swap goes tomorrw. Hopefully all will be well.

Thank goodness for amazon prime! 

Also a quote from @danioj

Notes: Given the discussion over compatible memory for the X10-SL7-F I am waiting to select the right 4 x 8TB sticks. UPDATE: I have chosen Crucial for the memory. From extensive reviews on the FreeNAS website and recommendations all over the Web NOT to use Kingston anymore drove my choice. Crucial is Micron's consumer brand, and Crucial memory is very easy to find (and for you guys in the US it can be bought directly from Crucial on their website, at reasonable prices and low or no shipping fees). Particularly, Crucial has the following DIMM model: CT102472BD160B (Single DIMM) and CT2KIT102472BD160B (Two DIMMs) which turns out to be just a rebrand of Micron's MT18KSF1G72AZ-1G6E1.