We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Setting default graphics card for build

MikeAH

So recently, I built out an UnRAID server. My specs are an FX-8320E, ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0, AMD HD7850, and an AMD HD5450.

I was really impressed with the general performance, but I just realized why the games on my computer seem to be running poorly. I'm running an AMD HD7850 on the PCIE3 slot (x4 lane, so low performance). On the PCIE2 slot above, I'm running an AMD HD5450 card on a x16 lane (it's crap, yes). The setup is this way because I wanted the HD5450 to be the primary graphics card for UnRAID and I wanted my HD7850 to be passed-through to my gaming VM.

Manual I am referencing for my motherboard: http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/970%20Pro3%20R2.0/?cat=Manual

Would it be possible to switch these cards PCIE slots so I am getting the full potential out of my HD7850. The idea would then be to tell UnRAID to use the HD5450 instead, but the actual machine would boot in via the HD7850 (no control over that AFAIK).

I tried digging through the settings within the BIOS, but I had no luck finding a way to set a config for which graphics card to default to. Figured someone might have previous experience in this realm. Thanks!

Great! Thanks for the response and I'll set this up when I get home later today!

As a worst case scenario, is there a way to quickly kill the VM during boot in-case I ever need to access the console (generally, I use the WebUI).

Archived