libusb: error, Error attaching USB device

NotYetRated

I have had my system up for about a month now with no issues. Two evenings ago I got a new 1TB SSD which I swapped in for my cache. I also added "iommu=pt" to my syslinux.cfg file to allow for the use of my Marvell on board SATA ports. I also moved my VM images from one SSD to another. Upon firing up my Living Room VM today(with GPU attached), I got the below error in the logs, and the thing would not fire up.

char device redirected to /dev/pts/3 (label charserial0)
libusb: error [submit_bulk_transfer] submiturb failed error -1 errno=28
qemu-system-x86_64: hw/usb/core.c:551: usb_packet_check_state: Assertion `!"usb packet state check failed"' failed.
2016-03-26 18:02:22.633+0000: shutting down

I am unable to easily turn off that iommu line, as it would necessitate swapping around drives and such to get off of that marvel controller. If anyone has seen this error before, or has any other ideas, I would appreciate it! Otherwise, I will be turning that option off and giving things a shot without it, was just hoping its not that. I could use the 4 extra SATA ports rather than plugging in my old controller.

Also, when going to shut the array down earlier to see if swapping the PCIe slots helped, the system hung up at stopping libbirt. Could not even putty in, had to hard shut down.

Diags attached.

EDIT: Awkwardly enough, I had thought it a GPU passthrough issue of some sort; however it appears to be a USB issue. I tick the box in the VM settings to pass my Logitech keyboard through, same as always, and things go bonk as above. I untick it, and all works. Well, except for my input device of course.... Anyone have any ideas? I successfully passed the entire USB device through, but that is not ideal as my UPS and others are on the same hub. I have no others to pass them off to...

bigbang-diagnostics-20160326-1407.zip

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

from my little experience I would say that passing usb to a single vm might work by giving them per device. In general giving the whole controller, or even a pcie card is far better.

I had multiple different boards with all of them having at least some issues that prevented correct usb pass-through to work. Ended up just pluging in a usb pcie card and passing that.

One thing to note is, that if you tick/untick boxes for like..usb devices. you delete all entrys you made manually in the vm settings. If you for instance pass some devices there, and then go to the ui and tick a box, it will just create a completely new settings without any manual stuff added.

Also, in one case I could manually pass-through a usb device, that was listed in the UI as passable, like a mouse/keyboard, but it did only work if I did pass it manually in the config.

Even another odd case I do have with logitech hardware is, that if I use multiple logitech stuff in the same vm, sometimes it won't be recognized until I plug them out and in again. (If you do pass stuff up with the ui, you can not simply plug/unplug stuff though)

Archived