Unraid 6 and server freezes

Hello,

I have recently updated my unraid server from version 5 to version 6 (unRAIDServer-6.2.0-beta20).

I have no really updated from the version 5 : I did a backup, installed the version 6 and copied all to my fresh unraid.

But I have a problem on the new version. Indeed, sometimes, when I transfer some files to my unraid server, transfer stops and the server does not answer anymore. I could access only the admin GUI in order to stop the array. But when I confirm that I want to stop the array, nothing answers at all (even the admin GUI).

Then, I am forced to go to the server, type "init 0" to try to stop him. Once again, the server does not stop (it is freezed at the "switch off swap" step).

So, the server seems to be unstable. In 5 days, I had to manually stop 3 times the server after freeze.

Any solution please ?

Thanks in advance,

Thanks ryan8382, I will try to downgrade my unraid server if I have no solution.

To detail more the problem :

- When I transfer from the network to the unraid server --> freezes could happen randomly (but not always)

- When I transfer from an unraid disk to another unraid disk (not between user shares) --> freezes happens each time

• 3 months later...

This issue was solved in unRAIDServer-6.2.0-beta23... so the latest version of unRAID 6.2 should work fine now.

Many users with ReiserFS are facing this problem (unraid freezes randomly when accessed from the network).

The current solution is to convert to XFS but for many of us this is not an option.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=50304.0

So if the new version of unRAID solves this issue (server becomes totally unresponsive, especially when making a write from a network location), that would be great!

I'm reading the changelog of beta23 but I cannot figure out which entry refers to this problem.

Could you please provide more information?

Also, when is the stable version (6.2.0) going to be available?

Thank you

Also, when is the stable version (6.2.0) going to be available?

As always.... soon™  ;D

My friend, this is your reply at my thread that I linked above:

"Maybe it is something that needs to be fixed, but waiting for that fix it might be better for you to convert to XFS as a quicker solution.  Problem is not everyone with a ReiserFS array has seen the issue but it's been sporadically noted since V6 has been released.  Not sure anyone has ever pinned down the cause..."

Do you now know if this issue is going to get fixed? Is there an update concerning this ReiserFS problem in v6?

Really hoping that the cause of the problem will be pinned down and solved when stable v6.2.0 is released!..

Do you now know if this issue is going to get fixed?

I don't, Eric would be the man to ask.

Is there an update concerning this ReiserFS problem in v6?

As far as I'm aware I'm not sure that anyone has managed to reproduce this issue, although there have been sporadic reports of it on the forum.

The soon™ thing, mate, that's just a long running joke on this forum.  ;)

I'm reading the changelog of beta23 but I cannot figure out which entry refers to this problem.

Could you please provide more information?

Oh, I meant to say a deadlock bug was fixed in 6.2-beta22 that was affecting many users:

- fix rare deadlock case when there are insufficient free stripes for a large I/O

But I realize this might not solve the issue you're seeing because:

- The bug fixed in 6.2-beta22 just affected 6.2.  The bug was never present in 6.1.x.

- The bug fixed in 6.2-beta22 wasn't specific to just ReiserFS, it was happening with any filesystem type