Which MD-1510 to get?

jaj08

I use Unraid at home and finally convinced the boss to get a server in the office for archiving our old data so it doesn't waste space on our front line servers. But I have read, and read again the different configurations available for the 1510 and can't figure out which one to get as the configurations seem so similar.

Anyone have any opinions/thoughts on which model is the better choice and why? This unit will be sitting in the corner of a temperature controlled server room and I do plan on upgrading to the Core2Duo processor as the word Celeron just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Any input would be appreciated

Thanks,

Josh

I just placed an order for the MD-1510/LL. I was trying to figure it out as well and sent some questions to Lime Tech. One of my requirements was for it to be as quiet as possible. The /LI is probably the quietest followed closely by the /LL with Fan Controller and then the /LC.

I had found a thread where it seemed that the Icy Dock "fingers" had some problems over time so I wound up choosing robustness of the SuperMicro cages which meant /LL with Fan Controller or /LC.

I selected the /LL with Fan Controller as Lime Tech mentioned it was the next quietest and I liked the look anyway.

Like you, the Celeron left a bad image in my mind even though a number of threads have indicated it is plenty for unRAID.

So I ordered the /LL with all 3 options (Fan Controller, Core 2 Duo E7400 and Variable Fan Speed Controller).

Thanks for the input I went ahead and did the same thing you did with the LL config with all 3 options..

I'm sure the default processor is more than enough, but I just have a bad hatred for Celeron and most of that dislike probably stems from the early generations which were complete junk. So I can't help but associate the word Celeron with crap to this day and I continue to avoid them and tell others to avoid them as well. I'm honestly surprised that Intel has held onto the Celeron brand for as long as it has as it makes since to come up with new names from time to time.

Thanks for the input I went ahead and did the same thing you did with the LL config with all 3 options..

I'm sure the default processor is more than enough, but I just have a bad hatred for Celeron and most of that dislike probably stems from the early generations which were complete junk. So I can't help but associate the word Celeron with crap to this day and I continue to avoid them and tell others to avoid them as well. I'm honestly surprised that Intel has held onto the Celeron brand for as long as it has as it makes since to come up with new names from time to time.

Coolness, grats. I'm convinced its to upsell people who have had a bad experience to the Core 2 Duo  ;D

ie, If they had renamed it and I had searched through the threads and saw everyone was happy with the default, etc. I may not have purchased the Core 2 Duo.