Faulty drives or other issues?

Hello everyone!

I've been having issues with drives showing as faulty. The 1st time a drive showed faulty in the dashboard I removed/formatted/reinstalled the drive and haven't had an issue with it since. 3 weeks ago I logged in to find multiple drives showing the red x. I powered down checked all connections and when I booted back up i was left with my parity drive showing as faulty. 

I have the diag file that I will attach as well as my system specs listed below.  I built this machine from scratch and bought everything brand new 1.5 years ago to build a freeNAS server. If someone can take a look at my diag file and give me an idea of what I might need to do I would greatly appreciate it.

Please let me know if I missed something or if you need any more information!!!

master-diagnostics-20160514-0908-afterreboot.zip

This syslog doesn't show anything useful, too late to see what caused the parity drive to be disabled.  Since it was rebooted, all 8 drives are there and seen, no issues at all with them, except that the parity drive was previously disabled.  What is really confusing me is that you booted May 12 evening, and started the array, it sees the parity drive and it's assigned correctly, and yet a day and a half later, no parity rebuild has been started at all!  Not even started and aborted.  I'm missing something, because that's not right.

Really need to see the diagnostics from the sessions where the errors occurred.  You have Powerdown installed, if it's recent enough, it saves the diagnostics to the flash drive (in /logs) when it shuts down.  Look for the previous one, and the one(s) when the other drives showed as faulty.

My suspicion is that the SAS card is causing the issues.  You may want to look for a firmware update for it.

Your best 6 SATA ports are on the motherboard, which you aren't using at all.  Any reason you don't like them?  If nothing else, they could share the load.  I'd move the SSD and the parity drive there at least, probably 4 more too.

RobJ - Thank you very much!! Sorry for the delay, I gave up on getting a response from the Unraid forums.

I disconnected all of the drives, updated my bios & raid card firmware and replaced the sata cables only to have the same drive show up as faulty. I am currently at work so when i get home I plan to check a few more things out before I smash the server with the hammer.

Thanks again for your help.

A disabled disk is often not due to a disk problem. unRAID disables a disk when a write to it fails for whatever reason. unRAID quits using it since it is no longer in sync with parity. The drive is then "emulated" by calculating its data from all other drives plus parity. This emulation also includes writing, so the physical drive can become even more out of sync with parity since it is not actually being used any more for reads and writes.

The correct response to a disabled drive is to try to determine the cause, fix it,  and rebuild the disk so that it will be in sync with parity again. Not clear exactly what you have done when you say you removed, reformatted, and reinstalled the disk. Doing anything to the disk with it not installed will invalidate parity. Did it rebuild the disk after you reinstalled it? The only other way you could even get it to use the disk again is to New Config, reassign all drives, and let it rebuild parity.

So, I don't know what you have been doing but it is almost certainly wrong. Next time stop and ask before you do anything and maybe we can put you on the right path.