Performance drops in Windows 10/CPU Lag

adilworth2016

Hello All,

So before I started to build my current server (still under construction), which is a dual Xeon E5-2630 V3 (though only one currently installed) machine running on a ASUS Z10pe-d8 WS with 128 GB ECC DDR4 RAM and a single 980ti and the onboard Asmedia sata controller with two optical drives attached passed through to a Windows 10 Pro VM using the UEFI VM BIOS and 4 physical cores/8 threads/16 GB RAM, I tested World of Tanks and Planetside 2 on a Xeon E3-1245 V3 machine with 32 GB of DDR3 ECC RAM and the same 980ti passed through with no issues, two cores/four threads/8GB RAM, had consistent FPS. Same settings, same UNRAID 6.2 config. All disks are running off on LSI 9211-8i IT mode HBAs. But when I tried it on the new server, I notice severe lag out of nowhere in World of Tanks and Random Intervals, FPS drops to 45-35 randomly and the machine seems to lag. 3D Mark scores around 11000-12000 randomly, though the physics test only reaches about 24 fps, which is comparable to an i7-870 I tested at work. Looking at similar configs averaging about 35-40 FPSbaremetal, it boggles my mind how the results can be this low even with the emulation overhead. (makes no sense) CPU usage is at/below 30 percent in game and disk usage is low as well. Network Ping and USB input lag do not seem to be the issues, and I'm 100 percent certain it is not my hardware or CPU bottleneck. I am at my wits end having fought with this thing for two weeks and have lost a good bit of sleep in the process. I'm about ready to pay for Limetech support to try and solve this frustrating issue that is giving me figurative grey hairs, but am posting here as a last resort. Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

-adilworth2016

How much ram did you allocate to your vms?

Which cores do your vms use?

Did you pin/isolate any cores?

I have the same processor (single) and GPU and have the same problem, i fixed most of my problems by editing the cpu pins and the vm config but i still have low 3d mark physics test scores.

EDIT: My Current config:

Isolated CPU Cores: 1-7 (HT Cores not isolated)

VMs:

Win10 VM with 980ti / onboard usb controller passthrough: Cores: 4, 5, 6, 7 Ram: 8GB Storage: 1x 128GB on a "Unassigned Devices" SSD 1x 512GB Cache SSD

Xpenology VM: Cores: 1, 2, 9, 10

EDIT²: and

<cpu mode='host-passthrough'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='4' threads='1'/>
  </cpu>

in the win10 VM config

Yeah the one thing I have not tried. I mean I know the 2630v3 is not the strongest performer singe thread wise, and these games are a bit cpu intensive but these problems should not occur, and the benchmark performance of the vm should def not be comparable to an i7-870. I'll give what you suggested a shot.

-adilworth2016

2630v3 is not the strongest performer singe thread wise, and these games are a bit cpu intensive but these problems should not occur

Before installed unraid i used this pc/server for gaming and never had any performance problems.

Archived