Passthough of of USB 3.1 addon card

Hoping to avoid having to do all the USB bus pass through I went and just bought a PCIe USB 3.1 card and installed it in my unRAID tower. Card appears to be working -- it shows up in devices and if I plug a key into it I see that key in my VM manager as something I can pass-through to VMs.

Unfortunately I was hoping that I would have the option to pass the entire USB card from the VM manager but that is not the case.

So I followed the tutorial on how to pass an entire USB bus through and got the PCI address 0000:04:00.0 and checked and it is on group 17 and the only item on group 17 so all looked good.

I added

<hostdev mode='subsystem' type='pci' managed='yes'>

<driver name='vfio'/>

<source>

<address domain='0x0000' bus='0x04' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>

</source>

</hostdev>

do my XML file right below another hostdev entry that is being used to pass-through the USB keyboard/mouse.

The USB card is now present in Windows 10 and I installed the drivers for it so it is properly identified but it has a little yellow triangle in Device Manager and when I check it has an error message saying Device Could Not Start (Error Code 10).

What am I doing wrong?

Issue solved. Just posting in case someone else has the same problem.

When I originally edited the XML file I removed the hostdev that was passing though the USB keyboard and mouse. That was an issue since the USB addon card needed drivers to work and with no input method I had no options so I put the keyboard back and after that I left it there since I thought it would be irrelevant to the functioning of the USB card I was trying to pass through -- that turns out to not be the case. Deleting the hostdev entry for the USB keyboard fixed the pass-through of the USB card.

• 3 months later...