Slow Parity w Dockers

newoski

Hi guys,

I'm getting really slow parity, as slow as 4 MB/see, with dockers running. If I stop all dockers, I get like 75MB/sec.

What have I done wrong?

Diagnostics attached. Thanks!

http://cloud.tapatalk.com/s/574d6d05d80f4/tower-diagnostics-20160531-0644.zip

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Without looking at your Diagnostics file, if your dockers are actively writing to the array during the parity check, the parity check will be slow because parity for the Dockers application(s) writes as well as the data must be written at the same time as the check is going on.  All of the disk activity will slow everything down.  (Just what did you think was going to happen?) 

Even if I'm only writing to cache?

Hi guys,

I'm getting really slow parity, as slow as 4 MB/see, with dockers running. If I stop all dockers, I get like 75MB/sec.

What have I done wrong?

Without looking at your Diagnostics file, if your dockers are actively writing to the array during the parity check, the parity check will be slow because parity for the Dockers application(s) writes as well as the data must be written at the same time as the check is going on.  All of the disk activity will slow everything down.  (Just what did you think was going to happen?)

Hi guys,

What have I done wrong?

It can if you have more drives than your MB can accommodate. If you require an add-in SATA card, it depends what type of card it is and which drives are attached to it.  (My two servers averages were greater than 104MB/sec on the last parity check.)  It would be helpful if you also listed your server setup including all of your HD's, cards, MB, CPU, RAM and the Dockers you are running. 

Thanks so much for your help! I adjusted a few of my Shares settings so that they used the cache drive. Then I set the mover script to run weekly. Parity shot up to 70-90MB/sec.

Hi guys,

What have I done wrong?

It can if you have more drives than your MB can accommodate. If you require an add-in SATA card, it depends what type of card it is and which drives are attached to it.  (My two servers averages were greater than 104MB/sec on the last parity check.)  It would be helpful if you also listed your server setup including all of your HD's, cards, MB, CPU, RAM and the Dockers you are running.

Archived