change console resolution...

duderaid

Is there an easy way to change the screen resolution without doing a customer kernel? 80x25 is kind of limiting and the lack of support of scroll lock is problematic.

If you log in using "putty" as your telnet client you can resize the screen at will.   It is probably the "windows" telnet client that is limiting you to 80x25.

On the system console, you can add a "boot code"  on the flash drive, in syslinux.cfg, add a "boot code" of "vga=extended" as shown below to get 80x50 text mode. 

Be careful of the editor you use when editing syslinux.cfg... For details

See this post: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=1017.0)

You can even add a whole "block of lines to the syslinux.cfg file define an alternate "boot choice" for an alternate video resolution when booting as shown below.  .

menu title Lime Technology LLC

prompt 0

timeout 100

label unRAID OS vga

menu default

kernel bzimage

append initrd=bzroot vga=extended

label unRAID OS

kernel bzimage

append initrd=bzroot

label Memtest86+

kernel memtest

It is probably the "windows" telnet client that is limiting you to 80x25.

You can actually reconfigure the windows telnet client as well. When you right click on the window bar of the client and choose properties, you can change fonts, colors, background, buffer size (amount of text kept by the client) and the size.

Is there an easy way to change the screen resolution without doing a customer kernel? 80x25 is kind of limiting and the lack of support of scroll lock is problematic.

What are you hoping that scroll lock will do?  Ctrl-S and Ctrl-Q might do what you're looking for if it's simply to pause output.  I'd recommend just piping commands through "more" though:

ls -ltr | more

Rob

What are you hoping that scroll lock will do?  Ctrl-S and Ctrl-Q might do what you're looking for if it's simply to pause output.  I'd recommend just piping commands through "more" though:

ls -ltr | more

Rob

Also,

Shift-Page-Up

and

Shift-Page-Down

will page through lines scrolled off the system console screen.

I usually can use the arrow keys when scroll lock is on. I'll try these other methods too.

whollly, I'm trying to get the output from the preclear script once it completes. I typically use "less" or redirect to a file but that doesn't help in this case.

Aaron

The output from the preclear script is also written to the system log.  You should be able to find it there.  /var/log/syslog

If you are running a fairly recent version of unRAID you can put

//tower/log/syslog

as the URL in your browser and see the system log. 

Joe L.

Archived