5TB Reds. Oh dear.

:(

Until recently, I've had great value from these drives.  Two of them were the first of the drives to be released, and one is about a year old.  The year old one died a few months ago, and WD replaced it with a refurb.

Now one of the older drives has started spewing "pending sectors".  So, that's two out of the three on the fritz. 

Then there was the really dodgy 8TB Red that was DOA, and the replacement vibrates badly, which I'll have to RMA soon too. 

I have to say I'm really thinking of shifting towards HGST/Seagate/Toshiba for the replacement drives. 

:(

Until recently, I've had great value from these drives.  Two of them were the first of the drives to be released, and one is about a year old.  The year old one died a few months ago, and WD replaced it with a refurb.

Now one of the older drives has started spewing "pending sectors".  So, that's two out of the three on the fritz. 

Then there was the really dodgy 8TB Red that was DOA, and the replacement vibrates badly, which I'll have to RMA soon too. 

I have to say I'm really thinking of shifting towards HGST/Seagate/Toshiba for the replacement drives.

I'm leaning towards Seagate 8TB Archive drives when I next need to replace one of my 4 WD's... not because i dislike the WD drives (they've been great) but the cost per GB is just so hard to ignore.

I've got 12 3TB Red's and of those probably four or so have been replaced with refurbs. Drives can go at any time. My largest server is currently running the 6.2beta and has 29 drives in it, the 12 3TB reds are in there, with a mixture of 3TB greens, 3TB Toshibas, one 3TB blue, quite a few 4TB seagates, a few 5TB seagates and a few 8TB seagate archive drives. At the moment the seagates seem so be holding their own but my past experience with them was not so great and I favoured WD for a long time after that, still do a little.

So far I have never had any of my WD red drives fail on me but I have had 3 Seagate Barcuda drives fail since 2014, one was dead on arrival, one died within a year and was replaced and the other one most recently throwing errors and took it out and replaced with a spare WD green which I will replace when the price of WD reds come down 4TB hovering around £128 for months.