unRAID / UPS / NMC .... thoughts or even possible?

Sparkyy

Greetings, hopefully this is in the right section of the forum.

Ever since I started with unRAID, I have had it running under ESXi and with much success too. Lately though, been looking to break the array away from ESXi and have a separate box running unRAID while everything else stays in ESXi.

My current set up has an APC Smart-UPS 1000 with a NMC (Network Management Card) attached and located on my network. Works great when I lose power, ESXi will go through a graceful shutdown for all VMs, turn itself off and finally the UPS.

The crux of my problem now stems from having two machines attached to the same UPS.

Is it possible for me to have my ESXi still gracefully shutdown by he NMC and also have unRAID shut down as well, by the NMC.

My NMC is at 192.168.1.250, with ESXi at 192.168.1.249, can unRAID be tossed on at 192.168.1.248 and be attached so the NMC can also shutdown unRAID along with ESXi? I would have ESXi do the power off for the UPS, just need unRAID to listen when to power down, gracefully.

Thank you for any insight you can offer in to this question, I looked around but nothing recent has cropped up and not in regards to multiple units.

I don't believe there is a way to run anything from the ESXi server to shutdown unRAID.

Be nice to have everything coming from the UPS itself to control both machines.

My only other thought would be to run a very small and light Ubuntu VM on unRAID and connect that to the UPS. This way, when it needs to shut down, it can send the command to unRAID. I feel that is a workaround though, so still trying to find out other ways.

Archived