New Unraid Overkill Server

Building a new system to virtualize both my wife and my PC's and do all my normal unraid stuff (plex, etc). I currently have a Dual E5-2670 system with my GTX 970 passed through and 8 3TB drives, my wifes i3-2100 system is dying so time to bring hers in to the fold.  The plan is to replace my 970 and her 760 with two 1060's or 1070's in the near future.

Operating System/ Storage Platform: Unraid 6.2

CPU: E5-2686 V3 (ES) 18-core

HSF: Noctua NH-D9DX i4

Motherboard: Supermicro X10SRA-F

Chassis: Coolermaster HAF XB Evo Corsair 750D

Drives: 8x 4TB Seagate 2.5" Drives (26TB useable with 1 parity drive), 2x Sandisk 480GB SSD

RAM: 64GB DDR4 ECC

Add-in Cards: GTX 970, GTX 760, 2x USB3 Cards

Power Supply: 850W EVGA G2

Other Bits: Cooling to be determined, Vantec 8 bay 2.5" hotswap chassis.

2010cb Cinebench R15 score:

uWFP3yJb.jpg?1

Haf XB Evo and 7 of the 8 drives:

zaFBTvzb.jpg

EDIT:

Looks like the HAF XB is not going to work for what I need. Putting it together this morning I realized that it doesn't have room to have a GPU in the last PCIe slot. This wouldn't be so bad but I would really like to be able to put in a HBA if I need more than 10 SATA ports. (cards are 2x double slot GPU's, 2x USB3 5 port cards, possibly 1x HBA)

I picked up a Corsair 750D, it will fit everything (and more) and will have better cable management to boot.

I have a spare Intel P4000M case I would love to use but it has the same issue as the HAF XB (plus I would need to do some fabrication to get a regular ATX powersupply to work along with the front panel connections using a ribbon connector.

• 3 weeks later...

Building a new system to virtualize both my wife and my PC's and do all my normal unraid stuff (plex, etc).

An unraid system that includes a virtual wife, I'm def interested, esp of she does the ironing ;-)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Virtual wife would make life easier ;)

There were some changes since I started the build.  I changed to a Corsair 200R case, a E5-2676 V3 CPU and a GTX 1070.

It runs great, performance is close to bare metal with occasional hiccups that usually last less than a second and are not consistent.

Here is a view of the build:

9LLDYCjm.jpg

Both VM's running Heaven Benchmark

XLNP5WDm.jpg

GTX 970 result, no overclock

3wM9vZjm.jpg

GTX 1070 result, no overclock (overclocked I got around 2400 in the VM) Bare metal was around 2100 not overclocked

LNeDKX8m.jpg