My Thoughts

These are just a couple of things that I would really like to see in UnRaid. I have been using UnRaid for a little while now and it is the best storage solution ever! Can't live without it!

- The ability to manage files on each disk including the cache from the Webgui. Delete, move, etc.

- The ability to backup the cache to the array and a one click restore for the cache backup. (for the purposes of changing the cache to a larger or smaller size drive, etc…)

- An easy way to clear a new drive and format the drive in preparation for adding to the array. (I added a 2TB drive to my array and it made my system useless for the duration of clearing the drive = over 9 hours)

- SSD capability in the array.

- PWM fan control in settings with user defined thresholds

- More options for configuration of multiple cache drives rather than just “raid 1” equivalent. Effective “raid 0” and “raid 10” to create a larger cache out of multiple ssd’s.

- Share options for private write access but public guest access

- Share options for read/write access and delete access as well. (Users I have assigned to read write access can also delete files. I would like a separate permission for this so that I can let them read and write without the ability to delete files permanently. This could be in the form of a temp deleted directory that saves for 30 days if the direct permission is not possible.)

These are just a couple of things that I would really like to see in UnRaid. I have been using UnRaid for a little while now and it is the best storage solution ever! Can't live without it!

- The ability to manage files on each disk including the cache from the Webgui. Delete, move, etc.

There's a folder icon at the far right of each drive, possibly something similar on the shares screen.  Can't remember how much power it gives you though.

- The ability to backup the cache to the array and a one click restore for the cache backup. (for the purposes of changing the cache to a larger or smaller size drive, etc…)

You would need a way though to handle the problem of live access to files on the Cache drive, such as docker.img and assorted appdata folders.  You'd either need to include a mechanism to find and stop dockers and VM's first, or include strict warnings that they have to be stopped/disabled first.

- An easy way to clear a new drive and format the drive in preparation for adding to the array. (I added a 2TB drive to my array and it made my system useless for the duration of clearing the drive = over 9 hours)

Already done!  In one of the recent releases, clearing now takes place in the background with the array already started!

- SSD capability in the array.

A few are doing it now, but LimeTech has not had time to test it thoroughly, so not ready to bless it.  There are potential risks involved with trimming.

- PWM fan control in settings with user defined thresholds

The problem with this is it's so hardware dependent.  Even getting temps has been left to a plugin, because there aren't any standard methods.  Motherboards are almost all different.

- More options for configuration of multiple cache drives rather than just “raid 1” equivalent. Effective “raid 0” and “raid 10” to create a larger cache out of multiple ssd’s.

I believe there's a feature request for that, you might want to 'cast' your vote there.

- Share options for private write access but public guest access

- Share options for read/write access and delete access as well. (Users I have assigned to read write access can also delete files. I would like a separate permission for this so that I can let them read and write without the ability to delete files permanently. This could be in the form of a temp deleted directory that saves for 30 days if the direct permission is not possible.)

In other words, ransomware resistant modes!  We've been discussing that elsewhere, hoping to encourage features like this for the next version.  Unfortunately, neither Linux or Samba have a delete permission as such, without removing write permission, so we have had to come up with ideas to work around that.  For handling user deletes, there is the Recycle Bin plugin, probably does what you want.  The number of days to keep deleted files is configurable.