Help Replacing a failed drive

Hey Guys,

Had my first failed drive yesterday. I spun down the array and shut it off. Today Installed a new drive that is the same size as the failed drive. I however unplugged the drive above it and turned on the system (I did NOT start the array). I corrected the issue and started the system. Unraid now sees the unplugged drive but says it is disabled, contents emulated. It will not let me start the array or rebuild even though that drive is originally part of the array. What are the correct steps to resolve this?

http://imgur.com/VpHZFhI

This should work, I'm assuming disk1 is the failed (bad) disk, if it was disk5 replace disk1 with disk5 in the procedure below:

-go to Tools and select New Config

-re-assign all disks, assign the new replacement disk in slot 1, double check parity and disk1 are in the correct slots

-very important, before starting array check “parity is already valid”

-start array

-if you're using a new/empty disk for slot1 it will appear as unmountable, it's OK for now, all other disks should mount

-stop array

-unassign disk1 (select “no device”)

-start array

-check that the emulated disk1 now mounts and all data looks OK

-stop array

-reassign disk1

-start array to begin rebuild

If you have any doubts while doing this or any of the disks doesn't mount when it should stop and ask for help.

• 2 years later...